Need sail made for 20' sailing canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cedarphile

Need sail made for 20' sailing canoe

Post by cedarphile »

I am setting up a 20' Old Town Guide canoe for sailing. I need a knowledgeable sailor and sail maker to help me find the center of effort for the canoe so I can locate the mast and leeboards, then I need a sail made. I live in northern Wisconsin about three hours north of Madison.

Gary
gary@canoecraft.org
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Re: Need sail made for 20' sailing canoe

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'm sure the WCHA has some sail makers, familiar with what you want !
Look for posts from Todd Bradshaw.
http://forums.wcha.org/index.php

Good Luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
cedarphile

Post by cedarphile »

Jim,
Todd would be my first choice. I've read his book and he lives less than 300 miles from me in Madison, WI. That's driveable, even with a 20' canoe–which I'm making a special trailer for.
Gary
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Is your canoe glassed, or are you going to fit canvas to it ?
Nice project !
There is a Youtuber, Cape Falcon Kayaks. He has a very nifty sailing rig for a small Wee Lassie type canoe ! Check it out !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh3EuB ... F8V_YpNZuw

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
cedarphile

Post by cedarphile »

When I acquired the 1931 20' Old Town, it had the usual canvas and cracking paint. I tore off the canvas and weighed it. 22 lb! This battleship's heavy enough without putting 22 lb of canvas and filler back on it, so I'm using 3.9 oz Dacron like Pam Wedd uses on her lightweight cedar/canvas canoes. Realizing this 87-year-old has some historical and collector value, I plan to attach the Dacron in such a way that it could be easily and totally removed in case the next owner wants to put the Old Town back into its original canvas condition.

Even with this light weight polyester covering, I doubt this 20' canoe will ever be on my old shoulders. I have a 59 lb Old Town Camper for BWCA or Quetico tripping with portages. So I decided to make the big twenty-footer into a specialty craft––both a sailing canoe and a fishing canoe with a 2 hp Johnson outboard from the 1970s. I've made outriggers for stability so it should be able to carry a good amount of sail and be a stable fishing platform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.