Thwart ideas?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Francis

Thwart ideas?

Post by Francis »

For my racing canoe I'm looking for some ideas to make my thwarts. I want to make them as light as possible, but strong enough. Because I'm gonna cover the mid-section of the canoe with Ceconite, I thought to bend them a little bit, so the water don't drip that much in the boat. For the moment my idea was to make the thwarts in cedar or Ayous/Abachi, and for extra strenght maybe covered with fiberglass and epoxy. I have no idea about dimensions, so every help is welcome. If it's possible, I don't want use screws or bolts to attach them to the inner gunwales but glue them with a combination of epoxy and sillica.
Patricks Dad

Re: Thwart ideas?

Post by Patricks Dad »

I recently built some thwarts out of foam inside a sleeve of carbon fiber saturated with epoxy and installed with epoxy thickened with carbosil and graphite power to match the color of the carbon fiber. Super light. You could adjust stiffness by thickness of your carbon fiber and dimensions of your foam.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Francis

Post by Francis »

Smart idea, thank you!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Oh and you can pre-bend the foam/carbon sleeve before you saturate it with epoxy so it will hold it's shape for an arc...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com