thwarts

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
rmb0513

thwarts

Post by rmb0513 »

Hello all
I am building the Nomad and am placing center seat for he grandkids
do you think I will need the thwarts?
Thank you for your advice
Cruiser

Re: thwarts

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Rmb,

I am assuming you will need to carry the boat at some point, so placement of the yoke isn't really negotiable, and if you don't want a yoke there, the hull will need a thwart there to support the hull shape, so that area isn't a good candidate for seat placement.

Aft of the center isn't a good idea, as you need to accommodate the rear paddlers legs in that area .... so that leaves the area fore of the center, if you are placing a seat there, IMO you could forego that smaller forward thwart and replace it with a seat. The seat will give lateral support and likely be enough in that area.

This is just what I would do, so take that for what it's worth.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Re: thwarts

Post by Jim Dodd »

Third seating in a canoe is always a problem !
An option I might offer.
Place the leading edge, of middle third seat about 5 or 6" aft of center.

Use the Old Bell type portage yoke,( similar to what is pictured) instead of the middle thwart (Portage yoke)

The yokes I have pictured work great as a yoke and a backrest, when paddling. Of course pads are needed. The light color wood, is my proto type. I couldn't locate a pic with the straps and pads. You will have to make these to fit your canoe ! The yoke center of balance is 5 or 6" fore of the leading edge of the seat

Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!