Installing Outwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Re: Installing Outwales

Post by WMegl »

Thanks, Randy. The more I looked at it, the better it looked the way it is. If I plane some of the top of the outer gunwale off, I think the outer surface which is now 5/16 in. would be too thin.

I'm in the process of varnishing now with only the stem bands remaining. I assume as Ted states, install the stem bands after varnishing.

I'm using Epiphanes and they state to seal the wood with 3 coats, thinned 50%, 25%, and 15%, first. Then apply 4 more coats thinned from 0-5%.

I'm using a premium, white bristle brush.

I'm getting close and I must admit, as old as I am, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Thanks to all on this forum for the excellant advice during this project.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You won't need to thin the first coat as much as Epifanes suggests because you aren't worried about deep penetration into the wood. If you were (or places where you are) varnishing bare wood, that level of thinning makes sense. I generally thin about 10-20% for all coats. I've never been able to apply it well unthinned (i'm horrible with a brush).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Thanks Randy. I've used Epifanes before and I have had trouble with runs. But, it sure looks good. I recall using a 10-20% thinking ratio for the final coats.

Also, thanks for the picture posting directions. Just in time for my project completion.
First Timer
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I find the same as Randy, Epiphanes needs 10-15% thinning, as a minimum, otherwise it sets up too quickly for me.

I have had a lot of luck using a small foam roller to get the varnish on and then tip quickly with a 3-4" "GEN" brand foam brush, doing about 2 square feet at a time. It goes fast and I have been pleased with the results, no real issues like runs, missed spots etc.

I would recommend trying the "roll and tip" method on a canoe hull, it's a lot of square footage for a brush.

Just a thought.

Brian