Strip pattern

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bud

Strip pattern

Post by Bud »

Inspired partially by Dean in Eureka, and just because I like to torture myself, I came up with this feature strip for my Wee Lassie.

It is comprised of seven walnut and maple strips. The top strip of walnut is 3/8" wide, the rest are 1/4" wide. I started with 3/4"x1/4" strips and cut 100 each of 1 1/4", 3/4", and 1/4" lengths in both walnut and maple for the three middle strips. Then I glued, stacked, and clamped everything together with the 3/8" strip on the top. After ripping it down the middle to get two identical strips, I planed them to 1/4" and routed a cove and bead. Bead goes on the 3/8" strip so the reveal is 1/4".
Bud
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That looks great Bud! And to think that some builders refuse to make a butt joint!
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

That woiuld torture me...but I have to say it really looks good!!!
Bud

Post by Bud »

Thanks Glen. I really admire your boats and now your models too. I'm going to get around to some canoe models soon. Speaking of being afraid of butt joints, this strip was so strong that it was difficult to bend at all. There is no way it could have followed the shear.
Bud
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

what kind of glue did you use?
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Bud

Glue

Post by Bud »

Patrick's Dad,
I use Titebond Original for all stripping. I have found that in the time it takes for me to install a strip on one side of the canoe, the glue from the previous strip on the opposite side is set enough that I can immediately install the next one beside it. Same with the feature strip. The glue is set enough by the time I stack one row that I can start the next row.
Bud
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Bud, your accent strip looks just fantastic. I keep staring at it. I gotta ask Santa for a router table and a planer for Xmas!

Thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Wow, Bud, I'm impressed! I'm inspired to do some kind of accent strip on my NEXT project.
A hui ho,
Kent