Bubbles

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
psimer

Bubbles

Post by psimer »

I have a few bubbles about the size of peas near the bilge area on one side. I havn't varnished yet and I think they will show and look bad. How is the best way to deal with these? I thought about carefully grinding them out with my Dremel and filling with expoy. would this make them invisible? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Dana :roll:
Dana H P'Simer Sr.
Don't start a vast project with a halfvast idea.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Hi Psimer,
This is how I fix this, I would be interested to learn how others deal with it. I have always thought there must be a better way.
As small as they are (and especially if they are on the inside) I would do as you suggest. It has worked for me in the past. I use 20 min. epoxy. Clean the holes and rough them so it will bond and pack them with epoxy and cover the holes with tape (the 20 min. epoxy is thick enough to stay put until you get the tape on).
Bud
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Bud,

What kind of tape do you use and why?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Dana, I would get rid of the bubbles then apply epoxy to the "craters" and lay a piece of plastic kitchen wrap over the patched spots. Then run a squeegee over the plastic following the curve of the hull to force out the excess epoxy and level the epoxy surface. Leave the plastic in place until the epoxy has set beyond the tacky stage. A bit of sanding may be necessary to "feather-in" the patched spots.
Bud

Post by Bud »

reinbilt, I use regular masking tape. Same thing I use to cover the edges of the molds. Duct tape should work as well. The tape holds the epoxy in the hole on vertical surfaces until it sets, and leaves a nice smooth finish.
psimer

Bubbles

Post by psimer »

Thanks to all for your advice. I was sucessfull in eliminating the bubbles using cellophane tape and a new kitchen product called "Press'N Seal" by Glad. I tried saran wrap and that works too. The" Press'n seal" keeps the epoxy in place better. The tape works good too.
Dana H P'Simer Sr.
Don't start a vast project with a halfvast idea.