accent strip

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
reinbilt

accent strip

Post by reinbilt »

I'm ready to start planking a Bob's Special with 1/4 X 3/4 very light colored WRC. The accent strip I want to create will be 8" lengths of dark WRC alternated with 4" lengths of light colored WRC like I'm using for the rest of the planking. I would like to assemble and glue this strip on a long work bench with a light plank above and one below the accent strip. After the glue is dry I would be installing the three glued up strips to the forms. There will already be two or three strips installed and I'm using a stapleless system. Does anybody see any problems with trying to install those three strips at one time? The profile of the molds seem fairly flat in this area. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you mean one accent strip that is 3 X 3/4" in width then I hope you will be installing it in a fairly straight line fashion otherwise it might not want to take much of a bend or curve. I have never made an accent strip that wide though so maybe someone else has a more knowledgeable answer.
Bud

Post by Bud »

Reinbilt, I concur with Glen. The mountain feature strip (see earlier post) that I am using on my Wee Lassie is made from seven 1/4" rows which comes to just over 1 3/4" in width. It was VERY stiff. Yours will be about 2 1/4" wide which will be even stiffer. If you have more than a very slight bend I would suggest you build the strip directly on the canoe as you go.
Bud
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I agree, unless your surface area is very flat (and I doubt that there are flat sections over the length of any canoe) I would recommend placing the strips on by one to the hull.
IMHO, the risk of cracking the wide accent strip is (too) high.

Erik, Belgium
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the good advice! I was afraid those 3 strips might be too stiff. I've got 60 some spring clamps so I'll use Bud's suggestion and install the accent strip directly to the third strip on the mold. I probably should do a dry run first to make sure those 4 and 8 inch pieces line up ok. I forgot to mention in my orginal post that I cut these pieces with a 45 degree angle on each end so that will give me a little more glueing surface. Thanks again for all your input.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Post pictures when you're done! Your strip sounds very similar to the original plans we had for our canoe. We finally decided against this design because the width of our darkest strips were narrower than the light strips we had and I had no good way of milling a light strip down to match the dark. We opted for an alternate design instead. But I'd love to see what you end up with.

thanks
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Randy, Thanks for your interest in my accent strip. I have no idea how to post pics on this forum. I did write down your email address and will send you a pic when the strip is finished.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

My accent strip is 2-5/8" wide. I built it while waiting on the materials to arrive. Just last night, I installed the strips on my redbird. I had already put on two strips, following the sheer line out to station #5. The strip was very ridgid and a little dificult to seat properly into the cove below. Using extra hands and plenty of clamps, I was able to coax it into position. This is my first canoe so I wasn't sure how wide an accent strip should be or should not be. All in all, I am glad I made it this size. If I ever build another canoe I might make it smaller or follow the horizontal plane in relationship to the waterline to minimalize the arch.