Seat plans

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chris

Seat plans

Post by Chris »

Hello,
I´m buildiing a Freedom 17 and I found an offer of seat plans at http://www.greenval.com/seats.jpg. Has anyone used these plans - and are they suitable for a freedom 17? On the photo they`re looking really beautiful. I´m a first time builder so II thought that`s maybe a good idea to use plans for the seats?

Regards

Chris :?
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I've heard really excellent things about those seat plans! Another great source is Gil Gilpatricks book "Building a Ceder Strip Canoe." He has a chapter that is almost the "Bible" for building seats with easy to follow, detailed instructions for caning. I Gill's instructions on my Bob's Special last year and found the exercise of building and caning the seats to be a very enjoyable and rewarding exercise....Juneaudave
Chris

seat plans

Post by Chris »

That sounds nice Dave, I´ve just ordered a sett of plans (which are resonable price with 19 $ incl. s&h to Germany!) and look forward for their arrival!

greetings

Chris
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Doug

Post by Doug »

The plans are excellent. Its a full blue print of how to set them up. If I remember correctly each seat is four pieces. Martin Step's "how to" is second to none.

I'm making a cherry one for my "Osprey".
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Armin, Germany

Post by Armin, Germany »

I also have the Gil Gilpatricks book "Building a Ceder Strip Canoe". Especialy the chapter about caning is worth the money! Very detailed description with lots of photos.
Rick

Post by Rick »

WCHA is up and running again, and this rawhide seat plan is back online - I built these into my Huron since the durability is good and will last many years with only varnishing needed from time to time. The rawhide lacing looks great with the more traditional designs and has that rough northern wilderness feel to it... " The rawhide seat is comfortable, durable and seems to suit a wooden canoe better than any other to my mind. "

http://www.wcha.org/wcj/wc_v19_n6/rawhide.html
IslandStripper

Rawhide Seat

Post by IslandStripper »

Hear is a picture of the completed seats. I like the classic look. Sure beats nylon webbing.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/davidj ... pg&.src=ph
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The seats look really good, David but where are the PFD's?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Great job on the lacing, IS... the rawhide weave must look even better when when it's in the cedarstrip hull, all natural color. Hope you're not using those day-glo PFDs when you're paddling!

8)
Chris

Seat plans received - why not building from one piece of woo

Post by Chris »

Hello Dave and all the others,

I just got the seat plans of Martin shep by mail. After studying them I have a question to the guys, who worked with them. Is there a special reason (durability etc?) to make them out of for parts of wood?(in the plans of M. Step he uses some pieces of wood in same dimensions, glues them together and cut them in the same angle, an then make a MorTen Linking for the ready seat). Wouldn`t it maybe an alternative to make them out of one piece of wood? As I am not a perfect woodworker, I´m wondering if it`s maybe easier to cut the form out of one piece of wood as to make the MorTens?

Thanks again and best regards from Germany

Chris
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Doug

Post by Doug »

Hi Chris,
Structurally I think the four pieces will be stronger.
I "epoxied" the four pieces for extra strength.
I think that a one piece seat will be weaker, in that the cross pieces will be cut across the wood grain.
Martin Step will give you excellent, email, support.
Are putting in a slider seat?
The blue print plans walk you through quite nicely.

All the best,
Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Chris

Seat plans by Martin Step

Post by Chris »

HY Dougm

yes Ißm thinking about installing a slider seat. At the moment I still plank the hull. All came out fine so far, but it`s a slow work, because I have to install the planks one after the other due to fixing them exaxtly at the "rest" of the stem. So I ordered the seat plans to plan the work, which comes later on. As the Freedom 17 is a unsymetricasl design I thought it`s a good idea to buil a slider seat. My wife is much smaller and soe punds lighter than I, so there is a good reason for the additional trimming options.

Best regards from Germany

Chris
www.natur-im-sucher.com
JimND

Post by JimND »

It doesn't work to cut the frame from one piece of wood because two of the sides would have really short grain which would break with very little weight. It's good that you are thinking about better ways, but unfortunately this one won't work. Sorry.
Chris

RE: Seats from one piece of wood - easy way to MorTen´s?

Post by Chris »

Thanks Jim - that`s exactly what I wanted to know! So I´m going to make the seats out of 4 pieces! Is there an easy way to make a strong MorTen connection?

Best regards

Chris
www.natur-im-sucher.com
IslandStripper

seat frames

Post by IslandStripper »

Pilot holes for 2 1/2" #8 screws. Screw, glue, clamp and plug. Holds my 200 lb but.

Later

Dave