Last few strips - Compound angles

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Last few strips - Compound angles

Post by Patricks Dad »

Patrick and I have been make slow but rewarding progress on our Redbird. We have completed 1 side and have planed the centerline true and plumb (it's been a hoot so far).

We are about to start the final assault on the other side. The next challenge we see is the very acute, beveled angles on the ends of the remaining strips. We've read the applicable section of Ted's book a couple times but would like to benefit from any additional ideas for how to ensure the proper angle, bevel and length of these final 14 strips.

Any great tricks out there?

Thanks in Advance.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

It's not as hard as it may seem, you'll soon get good at it! I fit one end first using a dozuki saw for the rough cut and a plane work the end to a final fit. With the first end in place, I then temporarily fasten the strip to the molds using a stapleless method up to about 1.5 ft or so to the other end. Then I mark reference lines at both ends and the center, and release the strip. From there it is a matter of cutting and planing the remaining end using your nearest reference mark to get the length right.

If I had a suggestion..it would be to leave the plank a bit long as marked by your references. When you actually glue it in, the glue seems to act like a lubricant and the end will slip in a bit farther than it does when dry....Juneaudave
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Dave's suggestion is right on! I find that it sometimes takes me a few strips to get the "feel" and then it's easy going for the rest of the day. If you cut one strip too short, just put it aside and use it for the next strip which needs to be shorter anyway.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

While it seemed scary to begin with it indeed is easier than it appears. We've put 3 strips on so far and having goofed one up too bad yet. The bevel on the 2nd strip was a bit steep but I think it will fill in fine with epoxy when we glass the inside. Now that we're away from station 6 on the Redbird, it's easier to see the quality of the joints from the bottom (inside). We're using a small dremel saw to cut the first cut and a plane for the final fit. It takes a few dry fits to get a good fit but it seems to be getting easier as we go.

Thanks for the guidance and encouragement. Much appreciated.
Last edited by Patricks Dad on Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Boy, I gotta confess, it's not as easy as I was thinking it was getting. After boasting about getting 3 correct right off the bat, we short changed the next 3 boards! :oops: I'm humbled. Hope tomorrow (er, today) is a better day.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
patrick pfeifer

Post by patrick pfeifer »

but its going fine now that i figured out how to do it.