Redbird update

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Redbird update

Post by Patricks Dad »

Patrick and I placed the last cedar strip on our canoe this weekend. Now for the outer stems and lots of sanding. Below is a picture (the stitching together of several pictures didn't go too well but you get the idea):

Photographs tend to show (more so than just the naked eye) lots of glue cleanup marks. Will they all sand out clean or am I in trouble?

Thanks for all the support from this crowd.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I have seen a lot of worse glue marks and they all sanded out just fine. After the initial shaping with a spokeshave, I use 80 grit paper then wet the wood and allow to dry. Then I sand with 120 grit, vacuum off the dust and it's ready for glassing. Any gap filling can be done after the initial shaping.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

VERY NICE, Patrick and Dad!!! I love the rich color of your strips, much darker than mine. And the Maple leaf came out great. You're gonna have a blast in that thing.
A hui ho,
Kent
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

You guys are really doing great!!
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Where on earth did you get that many strips so close in color? It's looking fine.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The contrast between the dark and light strips is really more than the picture shows. The light strips are pretty light. The darker strips when wet are pretty dark. The strips in between which fade from dark to light (stern to bow) match pretty well the dark and light on either side of them. The accent strip and maple leaf is from the darkest wood we had. We'll see for sure how it all fits together once it's all glassed.

We purchased our strips from Great Northern Craft. We had made a request to Ian McGrath to select a spectrum of colors so we could do a fade from light to dark (sheerline to bottom). The transition happens pretty close to the water line.

Looking forward (with trepidation) to the glassing.

Thanks again for all the help!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Patricks Dad, looks really great! Great place to locate the maple leaf. It gives it a simple but sufisticated look.

First time glassing is scary. But, it isn't as bad as it sounds. Just prepare yourself, as you obviously have been all along, and you'll be fine. If I survived it, you certainly can.

How old is your son? This is an experience the two of you will remember forever. So, enjoy!