Another Newbie asking questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fz7m0d

Another Newbie asking questions

Post by fz7m0d »

Hello

This is my first canoe building project, and I want to thank all of you for answering most of my questions already, even though I haven't posted one. I've spent hours reading this forum and studying your pictures.

I have just laminated the stems for a prospector and am cutting out the station forms while I wait for the glue to dry.

My question is, and I've seen similar posted already, but here goes. The way i see it I have a choice of laying the first strip in one of three ways.....follow the water line, follow the shear line, or let it go where it wants. I kind of want to follow the shear line. Am i setting myself up for trouble? Is there a best way?

Bob
Michael Freeman

Re: Another Newbie asking questions

Post by Michael Freeman »

fz7m0d wrote:Hello

My question is, and I've seen similar posted already, but here goes. The way i see it I have a choice of laying the first strip in one of three ways.....follow the water line, follow the shear line, or let it go where it wants. I kind of want to follow the shear line. Am i setting myself up for trouble? Is there a best way?

Bob
Bob,

First, welcome to the forum.

Having built a Prospector myself about 3 years ago, I would suggest you either strip parallel to the water line or let the first strip droop a little. When I stripped my boat I think (IIRC) that I let my first strip follow the sheerline for about the first 2 or 3 stations out from the center form, and then let it fall where it wanted to for the rest of the stations out to the stem. Even with this gentle curve, I found that the strips near the football area which transitioned from near horizontal to near vertical required a lot of twisting and force to get them too fit into place. I was using 7/8" strips, and I'm sure 3/4" or 1/2" strips in this area might have made things easier. But I'm also pretty sure if I had initially followed the shear all the way to the stems I would not have been able to strip this area unless I used cheater strips.

Whatever you decide, make sure you lay both starter strips exactly the same. Install one side, then take measurements up from the shear and transfer those to the other side so that you can install the second starter strip exactly the same as the first.

Good luck,
Michael
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

Bob,

I use the same method as Michael just described. That method has worked fine on a Hiawatha and a Bob's Special however It did not work on a Rob Roy. This canoe needed the first strip to follow the baseline. Always best to temporary attach the strip and stand back and view it from all angles.