cost

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
tptbum

cost

Post by tptbum »

Hi Guys,

I have heard estimates of the materials cost of building a strip canoe ranging from $300 to over $1000. It seems like a broad range, did any of you take accurate records??

I have done some projects where I stopped keeping track, but I'd like to know what I am setting myself up for.

Thanks

John
rmillet

Post by rmillet »

In my case the costs always get out of hand in the purchasing of new tools. Around here 200 or so will buy the cedar and another 150 or so for the hardwood trim (retail prices). The glass and epoxy are cheapest bought mail order or over the web, figure about 2 gallons of resin not including the hardener. You'll need 2x the length of the canoe plus a couple of feet in glass. Then there's sand paper, screws, seat cane, plywood for the forms, more for the strongback, rubber gloves for handling epoxy, brushes, varnish ad infinitum. I figure $500 at the lower end if I'm ripping and planing my own strips, go up from there.

Then again depending on where you are you may pay 1/2 as much for your wood or twice as much. Tomorrow it might go up or down 20% in price.

Set a reasonable limit, double it, add 50% more and you might make it within budget. :P

Dick
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My first boat (Hiawatha) cost $1000can but I can now build one for about half that much using local Eastern White Cedar, lower priced epoxy and glass from a less expensive supplier.
Last winter I built two kayaks for $650can each including everything.
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

I don't think anyone is building their first boat for $300. The epoxy and cloth alone are $200. They may have had the strongback, cloth or other materials from another boat or project to differ the cost but $300 seems low. The material cost is part of it, but its the "my palm sander is good but an orbital sander would be better." type of purchases that add up. Its those types of capital invetments that can eat up a butget. To answer your question I have spent about $400 on materials and that is enough to get me a glassed hull. To trim it out and varnish it, I am guessing another $300.
Chris

Costs in Europe// Germany

Post by Chris »

In Europe the coasts seems to be higher than in north america. some prices I have by hand, so here they come (I bought most parts as a kit from a boatbuilding supplier in Wesel, Company called "von der Linden" www.vonderlinden.de - VERY nice people there, can really reccomdend them, a few of them are professionell boatbuilders / yachtdesigners)

- Western Red Cedar strips ( w b&c ) lengs from 6,10meters )around 30 pieces) and less were about 600 € (really best quality!)

- 1 West Epoxy B-Pack is in Germanyis between 140 - 175.- €

- Glass for a Freedom 17 about 85€

Material for the strongback (plywood) about 110.- € including cutting

Material for the strongback (Plywood) about 80 € (2 whole plates)

Pump Set 23.- €

407B Filler 23.- €

Boatvarnish Epifanes DD PU (2-componet varnish) with UV protection about 120.- € for 2 Liters

40 cheap clamps 2,50 € pair = 50.- €

And finally there is a hugh amount which I´m not able to count for 1000 and one tools, screws, PVC Tape (10 Rolls or so), a Dozuki Saws, a Table Saw,a workmade, paintscraper, some block plans etc.----, Paint for the workshop, a heating (cold outside), some neonlights........

Not to forget: 35.- € for Canoecraft, about 60.- € for the plans of Ted, Some additional literature and 25.- Euro for the Bear Mountain Appron

:wink: :wink:

All in all it will be much closer to 2000.- € than to 500.-.... Surely the coast will be lower if you have a fully setup workshop (I use the garage of my mother in law, who is not driving), can make the planks yourself and use other materials as West System which is in Germany one of the most expensive brands on the market.

Best wishes

Chris
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I didn't keep records on my first canoe, but it was a bunch of money!!! I would guess (excluding tool purchases) $150 for the strongback using 3/4 AC ply, $400 in wood for the hull and trim, $300 for epoxy and glass, $300 for hardware, caning, sandpapaer, varnish, tack cloths etc. Canoe building books and plans..$150. I think your looking more at $1300 to $1400 U.S. for a first canoe!!! The second will be cheaper as you figure it out!
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Before I let the cost to build price scare me, I would also take into consideration what the finshed value is going to be. (That should justify it for you)
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Like Dean said, It's not the cost--it's the value.
Spend what you have to in order to make your project valuable, then measure twice and cut once. What you do not want is to spend $1000.00 and end up with a $300.00 boat. Spend $300.00 and end up with a $1000.00 boat. Don't misunderstand this concept. Not all boats are for sale, but they do have value.
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

Used epoxy from West System (the expensive stuff) on my first solo canoe, which was definitely a safe but expensive way. The total cost of the boat was about 750 euro.

After having seen the results of another epoxy brand on another woodstrip kayak, I chose Wilsor epoxy (a Dutch brand) for my current project (2-seater canoe), this will reduce the cost by 300 euro for the entire boat.

Erik, Belgium.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I kept very good records ... on my first boat. After the first one I just didn't care any more. I just bought what I needed and built it. The nice thing was that the costs were spread out. I'd buy a board and rip some strips, buy another board, and so on. The only big outlay all at once was the cloth and epoxy.

That first boat was in 1990. The biggest cost was the cloth and epoxy - $190. Total cost for the boat was $450. Ripped the boards myself.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

After looking at some of the dollar figures, I guess my wife doesn't call me mtpocket for no reason.
tptbum

I like your thinking!

Post by tptbum »

I like the concept of thinking not of the project cost, but insted of the end value. This assumes skills not in evidence, but I like the thinking.

My last project was a play house for my kids. I thought I could do it for about $300. My biggest cost over-run was allowing my wife and daughter to get hold of the pencil and paper before I started. When they finished their plans I told them that the play house was going to cost more than our house.

After a compromise was reached I stopped keeping track of expenses when they crossed that $1k mark.

I probably wont use a canoe as often as my kids use their playhouse, but then I probably won't outgrow it in 5 years either!

Thanks for the input,

John
Its Me

Re: I like your thinking!

Post by Its Me »

tptbum wrote:I like the concept of thinking not of the project cost, but insted of the end value. My biggest cost over-run was allowing my wife and daughter to get hold of the pencil and paper before I started. When they finished their plans I told them that the play house was going to cost more than our house.

John
I built a swingset-playground this summer as well. In fact it was mandated that I build it before I start working on the canoe. I purposely never sketched a design knowing that if my wife saw it she would change it by adding a roof, walls and built in furniture. Even with my super secret design the cost still surpassed $1,000.

For me, the canoe costs have been so spread out that its not that noticable. Except for the new table saw The Mrs noticed that one. :oops:
tptbum

Post by tptbum »

The compromise design playhouse was still two stories tall. The first floor ladder leads to a trapdoor, which I am still afraid someone is going to fall through. The upstairs is a deck with a roof.

I suspect that my wife was test driving my building skills, the home addition starts next summer. That is why I am thinking the canoe is now or never!

John
fz7m0d

Post by fz7m0d »

Hi

This is my first canoe and I have just gotten started, but I found a great way to keep the cost down. I was all geared up to start this project last winter, when my wife reminded me that our kitchen was in dire need of refurbishing. So, I spent all winter and spring building new cupboards and countertops. Then, half the summer gutting out the kitchen and installing all the new stuff. Over this period of time, a sheet of 3/4 plywood was slipped in here, a cedar plank there, maybe a new 1/2" router with canoe bits if I thought she was being particularly nonobservant one day. The kitchen cost overruns are completely justified..............we have a beautiful, functional kitchen. And, I get to build a cheaper canoe.

Bob