Don`t cut planks while talking to your little son....

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chris

Don`t cut planks while talking to your little son....

Post by Chris »

This weekend I will remark in my aganda as "Black Boatbuilding Weekend"....

I´m working with the German Translation of "canoecraft" which is quiet well, but today I found that I misunderstood the passage about planking at the end of the stem and how to cut the planks at this area. Taking to my five year old boy while sawing made the rest -

So here is what I did:

I cutted the last planks on the inner bow stem of the Freedom 17 as I cut all the others - so now there is missing the piece of wood (about 1 inch) where the planks should slide go in the outer stem. This important thing I did not found in German Canoecraft - but AFTER CUT in "Building Bob´s Special". So: Any ideas to solve the problem. Would it be a good idea to epox a little piece of cedar on this area and shape it ? Or is it better to make a little bit longer outer stem. Don`t want to have a thin area in the boat. You see - I´m a really Greenhorn in Boatbuilding....

Best regards

Chris
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Chris, this is one piece of information that is not stressed enough in most books. I set up a page of photos and text on my msn photos site concerning the mortice and the outer stems: http://groups.msn.com/CanoesKayaks/outerstems.msnw.
However, it is too late for use because you are already in trouble. I didn't do a good job in this area on my first boat as I did not understand the procedure and I patched the stem area with epoxy thickened with silica and wood dust. I don't like the looks of it but nobody else seem to even notice it!
Last edited by Glen Smith on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Glen, Great pictures. Much more thorough description of the procedure than the book. Patrick and I spent this past weekend cutting the mortises on our Redbird. We're just about ready to put on the stems and shape them. Your pictures and descriptions are very helpful. Thanks for taking the time (as usual).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Patricks Dad wrote:Patrick and I spent this past weekend cutting the mortises on our Redbird.
Hey Randy,
Any pictures of before cutting the mortise?
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Dean, Not sure exactly what you are looking for but I have lots of pictures (over 400). I have sent you a link to the last 200 or so. Let me know if you find what you are looking for. I haven't uploaded any pictures of the mortise yet. Anyone else who would like like to look at them can find them at:

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAt2bFk1atmG7

I'm not a professional photographer either....
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Dean in Eureka, CA

Thanks Randy,
By the looks of things, it would appear that the outer stem needs to be tapered (width) at the keel area prior to the mortise being cut. I probably would have done the same thing and made my mortise a set width throughout and not tapered it at the end.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Chris

Patricks Dad

Post by Chris »

Hallo Randy & Patrick - just had a look on the 220 pic`s - the photos aren`r so bad as you pointed out - an the hull of your redbird is really impressive. Looks more like finde art!

Best regards

Chris
Last edited by Chris on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com
Dean in Eureka, CA

Randy,
Excellent job!!!
Nice picture album also.
I really like the maple leaf.

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I just looked through your pictures. Nice!!!! Very Nice!!! What I am most impressed with is that your project is done by a father and son. Very unusual these days. Something to be proud of and will be a family heirloom for generations.

Question: Is pic # 805 the hood ornament?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Not sure where that's going to end up. I'm sure it will find itself in a prominent place in my son's room. It really is a hoot to work on this project with my son. At 16, he's no doubt tempted with lots of other things he could be doing (in the case of homework - "should" be doing). I'm very proud that he chooses to spend time in a mouse infested garage with me. We're both looking forward to a canoe trip once we're done (we spent 9 days paddling in Quetico Provincial Park in 2003).

Then again, he got me into this mess; he better help get me out!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com