Break Time

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mtpocket

Break Time

Post by mtpocket »

I have been taking a few days off from working on my Redbird and will probably not get back in the swing of things until after the holidays. I rolled the hull over today and luckily had no surprises.

I want to thank all of you forum members for helping me get this far and for offering me tips along the way. Because of you, I have been able to build with confidence.

I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi mtpocket, the boat looks really great. I bet you won't be able to stay away from the project for very long!
Since your photo is hosted by "photobucket" may I suggest you make use of the "resize" function to make them smaller for posting purposes. As it is, it goes "off the screen".
Thank you, and I hope you enjoy a safe holiday season.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks Glen, I will certainly try to use the resize feature. Just as with some of my wood working tools, I can't always use them to their potential and some of them just don't cooperate.
As far as the break goes, I won't quit altogether, just won't be able to work on it as much. Funny thing happened to me a few weeks back. My wife and I went hiking for a week in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and I couldn't quit thinking about all the work I could be doing on my Redbird.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

MT,
Fabulous!!
Where can I view more pics?
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

MT, Awesome job. I just sit here looking at it with my mouth open (my wife can't figure out what I'm doing - she knows I'm nuts anyway). Congratulations on your work so far. I look forward to seeing the finished product sometime in '05.

Thanks for sharing the photo.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Dean in Eureka, CA

MT,
I found your pics and that sure is a nifty strip clamping jig you devised.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks Guys,

To Patricks Dad: While you are sitting there with your mouth open, have your wife bring you some of those Christmas cookies she bakes every year. An open mouth never looks as silly if you can convince her that you were waiting on her home cooking.

To Dean in Eureka, CA:The clamps are just a simple conduit clamp with an extra nut welded on so I could insert a screw to apply pressure. It has it's advantages and dissdvantages. They cost me nothing but the time to alter them which was less than an hour. They apply way more than enough presssure to the strips. They can be used over and over and will probably never wear out. That's how my luck usually works, the clamps I need most often wear out early and these disposable clamps will last forever.
Last edited by mtpocket on Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernie in Illinois

Post by Bernie in Illinois »

Looks absolutely gorgeous Mt. Your custom design is really sharp.
Happy Holidays everyone!
SevenTenths

Post by SevenTenths »

Absolutely stunning! Feature strips are one thing, but your work is truly artistic.

7/10
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Thanks for the kind words, but it's only wood. The art work I have seen in this forum and in the project directory(Dean in Eureka) is what I call Artistic to the Nth degree. I am sure some will ask what a rope has to do with canoes or Indians. Well, in short, the answer is nothing at all. I just thought it would decorate it a little. I do like the Friendship weave design and the other Indian designs better, but I almost always take a left turn when everyone else is turning right.

I need to come up with a name for my canoe. I suggested to my wife that I should name it something to do with the rope. Here are my suggestions: Ties With Nature, Natural Ties, All Tied Up. Maybe you guys can advise me on a name, perhaps one of these or something totally different. I know there are some pretty creative minds out there and I am sure you can come up with something. Thanks mtpocket
Peter Kotowych

Post by Peter Kotowych »

Beautiful job mt.
You'll have a great 2005 when you launched this beauty.
I also extend thanks and a Merry Xmas to all site members.
It has been a great building year and may 2005 be just as enjoyable.
I'm sure it will.

Penetang Pete
Bud

Post by Bud »

Hi MT, how about "The tie that binds" or "heartstrings"?
Beautiful work! Curved inlays are a bear.
Happy Holidays!
Bud
Dean in Eureka, CA

MT,
Names refering to the rope, eh?
Cuttin' Loose
Dream Weaver
Knotical Voyager
Knotical Adventure

I'll give it a bit more thought and get back to you.
(I do like the play on words with Knotical for Nautical)

Boat on a Rope? Naaah
All Wound Up
I No Knot
Knot Now

I give... I like Knotical Adventure and I No Knot

Dean in Eureka, CA
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

See, I knew it. You guys aren't just creative with wood, you have creative minds that go way beyond.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Break time is nearly over. I am so ready to get back to work on something constructive. Working in a power plant during the holidays is not a fun thing. Many are taking vacations and those of us left behind are working sixteen hour shifts for more than three weeks with no days off. The only activity in my garage is when I get home after a long day or night at work and go out to dream of returning to a normal life. I sit in my thinking chair and enjoy a brew, just aching to pick up a piece of sand paper. No time for that though, I had to be back to work in less than eight hours and still need sleep. But that's all behind me now and I am about ready to start sanding the inside of the hull.

My holiday celebrations had to be postponed a few days on account of work. Even so, they were great and I hope yours were too. My stepson was home from the Army and we had a great visit. I wish I had his energy. We were so happy to see him and yet saddened by the news he brought with him. He has been informed of a May 2005 deployment. He was not at liberty to tell us more until after his return to base. This is very hard for us so I won't say more except that your prayers are much appreciated.

During these past three weeks, we have had about twenty inches of snow, fifteen in two days. I actually pushed snow with my bumper to get home because of the drifts. I don't mind getting stranded at home but I never want to get stranded at work. We have seen temperatures of -15F and within a week it was back up to +50F. Then the rain came while the snow melted and now everything is flooded. I can hardly wait until spring. With a little luck I should be able to dedicate a few hours each day until the completion of my redbird. Wish me luck!