Outer Stem question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Outer Stem question

Post by Patricks Dad »

Patrick and I took a crack at dry fitting the stern outer stem on our redbird this evening. After cutting it to length and strapping it down at the keel line, we noticed a few small gaps as we pulled it into place in a couple other places. The gaps are visible if you look at the right angle and hold a light on the other side of the canoe. The gaps are all less than 1/32". How fastidious should we be with getting them to disappear? I think we can sand in a few strategic places and remove them if it's necessary. We are intending to hold the stem in place with straps while the epoxy cures rather than use screws (bad idea?)

Thanks!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I wouldn't worry too much about such a small gap. If there are spots you feel could be sanded to improve (reduce gap) the outer stem setup then go ahead. Just be careful not to create larger gaps elsewhere. If you will be gluing the stems on with thickened epoxy, you could add some sanding dust for color matching and this will also prevent lightrays from shining through. I install outer stems using web straps to hold them in place as the glue dries and it works very well. No need to use screws.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I used bungees, straps, and tape to hold the outer stem in position, while the thickened epoxy cured. No screws. Worked great.

Glen - I just noticed the words "site admin" by your name. How long have you been doing that? Good for you. I'm sure Ted and Joan appreciate the help.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ken, that is a new function which I have undertaken this week, I am helping to free up Joan for other duties. We also plan on making a few minor changes to the forum like adding new forums such as the "Gourmet Corner". I am still getting familiar with the work involved and I will try to make small "improvements" along the way.