Sanding Epoxy

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Ed Houston

Sanding Epoxy

Post by Ed Houston »

Another dumb question!

I have rectified the previous problem and patched the bad areas with two thin coats of epoxy, I have decided to hand sand from this point but have another problem!

My sand paper is clogging up, I am using a 1/4 sheet hand sander block with 150 grit the dust forms small lumps on the paper that skip over the surface, this is after only a few seconds of sanding.

Is there a better paper to use?
Is there anything I can do to stop the clogging?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Ed
:oops:
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Clogged sandpaper can be caused by "blush" on the surface of the epoxy. It is a residue that forms on the surface of some epoxies and it usually has a waxy or oily feel to it. If this is the case or even if you are not sure if there is blush on the surface, you can wash the epoxy with warm water and a "scotchbrite" scouring pad then dry the surface with paper towels. Then you should be able to sand without the epoxy forming "gumballs".

Another thing that can cause the sandpaper to clog is if the epoxy hasn't hardened enough. This usually requires 24 to 48 hours at standard room temperature.

I hope this helps you.
Michael Freeman

Post by Michael Freeman »

Hi Ed,

What you need is wet/dry automotive sandpaper (the kind with dark gray grit) so that you can wet sand. Get a bucket of water and a sponge. Dribble water on the area you are sanding with the sponge as you sand, and your paper will not clog up (provided the epoxy has fully cured). Rinse your paper in the bucket of water frequently to keep the paper sharp and clear of debris.

Good luck,
Michael