deck wood

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

That was my thinking as well. The intent was a smooth surface of epoxy with the coin below (on top of a base of epoxy so it would be completely encapsulated....

My worry was some wacky chemical reaction between silver and the epoxy.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Its Me

Post by Its Me »

From what I know, the epoxy gives off little if any volatile vapors, epoxy is not particularly basic or acidic. Further, coins are made of low reactant materials such as gold, nickel, chrome. So I would not expect a reaction between the epoxy and the coin.
Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

I installed a silver dollar in the thwart. After some time, the epoxy over the dollar popped out. I guess it just didn't adhere to the coin. I was a little disappointed in the installation because my West hardener was a little amber and it showed up more on the coin than on the wood. I think it may have popped out due to the thwart flexing while handling the canoe. I covered it again and it has held for two years. It has not tarnished to any noticeable degree. On my first canoe, I used a Sacagawea dollar and it has not tarnished in four years. On my last one, I used a quarter and it has held up as well. I used a Missouri quarter and it also has a canoe on it so we are both in the same boat (a canoe in a coin in a canoe).
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Patrick ole boy ole pal ole friend of mine,

Feast your eyes on the redbird. After many hours of shop time, I think I am now ready for the race. As you can see, I pulled out all stops. After all, you do have youth on your side and I needed a little help. I also got some pointers from Glen. I will follow his advice and "cheat". In addition to his pointers, I spoke with the Wright Brothers. They have loaned me their Redbird for the race. Below is a picture of them helping me get it ready.

:laughing

And this is me while you are explaining the canoe in a coin in a canoe thing.

:laughing :laughing :laughing
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

The round designs painted on the bows of fur trade canoes were generally thought to be variations on a compass rose and were introduced by the French. It was likely another "good luck" gesture - to prevent the canoe and crew from ever getting lost. Designs depicting animals and other things were also used, but round symbols were quite common.

Michel vd Hoven

Post by Michel vd Hoven »

My Kevlar Mad River Malecite has "Native New England Butternut" wooden decks...
MRC used this because they don't use any tropical rain forest products... so they say.