deck wood

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
patrick

deck wood

Post by patrick »

What kind of deck wood should we use? Should we use cherry so it matches our stems and gunnels, or should we use something dark, like walnut, so it contrasts with the silver coin we will inlay into the front deck. What are your opinions? Thanks, Patrick
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

There are lots of examples in the photo gallery of both wood choices and design. It's really up to what you like! I personnally think that if you use woods that are the same or complementary to the rest of the hull and trim, it ties the whole canoe together. With cherry gunnels and stem, I wouldn't be hesitant to use cherry for the field with darker or lighter accents!!! The deck is really an area that you can be creative with. Doesn't your canoe have a maple leaf inlay? Maybe you could carry that theme into the deck!...Juneaudave
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

Traditionally, walnut used in boats was supposed to bring bad luck. On the other hand, the coin is supposed to bring good luck, so maybe they would cancel each other out. Either that or create one of those matter-anti-matter things and destroy the space/time continuum...... :shocked
canoebuildinggolfer

Post by canoebuildinggolfer »

Is'nt the coin supposed to be in the keel in a location that is secret to the owner ? A bit hard for owner/builders to do though. Tony
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

Under the base of the mast. Guess you better build a sail rig for the boat....
Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

As I understand it, the coins under the mast were an ancient sailing tradition. They were there to be used by the drowned sailors to pay Charon to ferry them across the River Styx.

I have installed a coin in each of my canoes. I chose one that was dated the year the canoe was finished.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I had no idea of this tradition. And we just thought the coin with a canoe on it would look cool. I didn't think of being able to use it after I drown. Now I got that going for me. :tu

We'll wear PFD's anyway...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

So, let me get this straight.

You have a canoe with a coin on it. You have a coin with a canoe on it. The canoe has a coin which has a canoe on the coin that is going on the canoe. Right?

This has got to be Patricks idea. Sounds like Patrick is going to spend more time explaining than paddling. Maybe I can get him to explain it all to me at the start of the race and I will have time too get away.

:laughing

So what is Patrick going to name her? You know the Ojibwe word for coin is zhooniyaawaabik(oog), biisaabik(oog) (NW). He will have trouble explaining that too.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think you got it right. The coin is a 1966 Canada silver dollar with 2 vouyager's in it. If you look real close at the canoe on the coin, it has something round on the side of it near the front (maybe it's a coin)

No thoughts on name yet. I'll leave that to Patrick too...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

That will look great on your canoe. Will it be recessed down into the deck or will it be easily accessed for the winner of the race.

You know that since the canoe on the coin has a coin on the canoe, this changes the whole formula I was working on and it will take Patrick even longer on his explanation.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

It will be recessed (and expoxy'd) into the deck. I think Patrick's strategy will be to tell you all about the coin and the name so that by the time he's done, your head will be spinning and you will just go in circles during the race. You might consider adding a keel to your Redbird :laughing
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

The symbol on the canoe almost looks like a Medicine Wheel.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I will probably end up like the paddlers on my avatar. I might need a rudder as well.

Question:

Will you have to do anything special to the coin beforehand in order to stave off tarnish?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Don't know. I was wondering the same thing. I thought I would do some tests with another coin before committing this one to the deck....

If someone else out there has an answer, it would be much appreciated.

thanks!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

I have never done anything like what you are attempting so I could only guess, which would probably be wrong. Here's my guess. I have some coins that are in sealed glass cases. They haven't tarnished. This could be because no air or moisture ever gets in. If you put enough epoxy in the slot where the coin fits, i.e. submerged in epoxy, then enough epoxy on top, I can't imagine any moisture or air ever getting in. This may also help prevent someone from borrowing it.