Painter hole

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jerry Schneberger

Painter hole

Post by Jerry Schneberger »

On the old forum I once saw a post about making a painter hole in the bow of a glassed stripper to. Can anyone give me any advice about how they reinforced the inside of the hull before boring the hole? Thanks. Jerry Schneberger (glschne@comcast.net)

Painter Hole

Post by Guest »

John Michna does has great informaion on this technique on his site:

http://www.michneboat.com./Building%20t ... ter%20hole
Mike

Painter hole

Post by Mike »

Look in the plumbing department for a 3/8 compression fitting for copper pipe. It is 3/8 I.D. about 1" long, w/. 3/32 flange on one end. I start a hole in from each side perpendicular to the outside of the canoe, and epoxy one fitting in from each side. I also run a piece of 1/4 line through the hole to police up any extra epoxy before it sets. I do it while I am laying uyp the epoxy , but I have retro-fitteg it. I also set it flush.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I just bored the hole through with a hole saw after it was glassed up. No need for structural reinforcing that I could tell. The only real reinforcing necessary is a good shot of Kentucky burbon prior to taking the leap of drilling through your hull!!
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

I knew that I would be lining my canoe at some point, and that I wanted the painter lines down low to the water to help stabilize the canoe, but I didn't want holes in my hull where water was going to be splashing in all the time. So I bent some 1/2" copper tubing into a "C" shape, cut TWO holes in my hull, and epoxied the tubing in. I made the tubing long, then cut, filed and sanded it flush and smooth. Then I could feed a painter in, tie it off as it came out the other end, and Voila, adjustable-height painters and no water in my boat. :lol:

Greg