Crack Reapair - what about UNthickend/ partly cured epoxy?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chris

Crack Reapair - what about UNthickend/ partly cured epoxy?

Post by Chris »

Hello,

as I wrote some days before, I had some problems withe the fiberglassing. There were floating areas of the glass, which I did not recognized (I thought they were only tears) - but the wonderful smooth surface looekd ugly in bright sunlight...

So I took off the coats by using a hot air gun which worked - the problem is, that there came some big splinters out , which had been heavilly seamed to the glass - in others areas I haven´t such problems. As the second step I´m scratching the rest of the epoxy from the hull by using hot air, too. I´m wondering about what doing to get the same smooth hull as I had before the first try:I don`t like to do much filling with thickend epoxy, because it will not look very nice, as the areas which I have to blend are bigger and more visible than before and otherwise I frightend to sand to much, because the hull will maybe become to thin....

What about filling these areas with UNthickend epoxy, maybe partly cured on vertikal areas? The other idea is to use a sealing cout like Gil Gilpatrick describes it in his book. Would you recommend to use an addition layer of fiberglass in the bottomarea? :embarassed :embarassed
---------------------------------------
www.natur-im-sucher.com