Help! Question about adding stability!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Rob

Help! Question about adding stability!

Post by Rob »

My 15 year old son just finished a 10' version of my Redbird. (I came home from work one day and he had some stations from my Redbird already set up, with a couple of strips started, so we just went with it.) Anyway, he just tested it in the neighbours pool and he tipped it a couple of times. The bottom seems to be very round, and has nowhere near the stability of the Redbird. Does anyone have an idea for a way we can add stability? Maybe weight in the bottom somehow? Maybe a heavy keel? Does anyone have any suggestions? We'd like to go canoeing soon!
I hope someone can help us!
Thanks!
Rob from Hamilton
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Try adding sponsons to the side of your canoe, towards the waterline...here is a link that may give you the idea..http://www.canoegear.com/sponsons.html You can make your own or buy them manufactured...Juneaudave
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

I've seen outriggers on kayaks, I don't know why it would'nt work on a canoe? You could make them detachable, and set them high enough so they don't touch water, until your close to capsize! Go For it, and post the results!!!
Michael Freeman

Post by Michael Freeman »

The simplest way to improve stability is weight in the bottom. The lower you can make the center of gravity, the more stable the canoe. Try a couple of bags of traction sand in the bottom. Nice and heavy, conforms to the bottom and won't scratch your finish.

Adding a keel will NOT increase stability - unless it's made from lead, or really deep. :-)

Mike
philz

Re: Help! Question about adding stability!

Post by philz »

You could also put a cushion on the bottom and sit there like a wee-lassie. Also remember that bicycles aren't stable, but once you learn to deal with it you very rarely fall. It would also make the canoe difficult for anyone else to use (or steal).
philz
Rob

Adding stability to small canoe

Post by Rob »

Thanks for your replies! My son has ruled out the outrigger idea, and the sponson idea. (I liked the sponson idea) The weighted keel would add drag and weight so that is out too. I think adding weight to the inside of the bottom might be the only way to go for my son. I'm thinking he should use some type of flexible water carrier, like the ones we use for drinking water when we camp. This way he can fill it up when he gets to the water, and empty it out when he leaves.
What do you guys think?
Any other suggestions? He's driving me nuts!
Rob
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

The water carriers sound good to me. One 5 gal carrier adds 40 pounds. Go for it!
Jack in Stoughton
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

It's very hard to accurately predict a fix for the problem without knowing more about what you did to the design - stuff like "How many and which of the stations did you omit?" - "What is the waterline beam of the hull?" - " What is the paddling position, sitting on the floor or a seat or kneeling?" It sounds like it must be round bottomed because you eliminated most of the center stations. Without this type of information, suggestions for fixes can't be much more than pure guesses. It's quite possible that you eliminated enough of the original design that it will take a massive amount of internal ballast to transform the hull into something enjoyable to paddle and ballasting a lightweight canoe for stability seems to have it's limits. You might just be turning a tippy boat into a tippy boat that rides low in the water and handles like a barge because it's so heavy. If the changes can't be made by the addition of a modest amount of ballast, then a single outrigger would likely be a much more efficient solution, both in terms of performance and stability.
KARKAUAI

tippy boat

Post by KARKAUAI »

Heck, why NOT an outrigger? A Hawaiian canoe is round-bottomed throughout and could never be used without an outrigger. Make a double-ama setup and be the only canoe on the lake with a big sail!!!! How cool would that be? Kent
don

Post by don »

You might try putting in a saddle so it is easy to stay low and centered, possibly knee pads and thigh straps so you have a more solid connection with the canoe and so corrections work better and possibly try making your thwart shorter which will change the bottom of the canoe a bit and will make it easier to paddle solo. Basically, outfit it like a rodeo boat. With some air in it your son may even learn to roll. Sounds like it would be a fun boat to play with.
good luck
don