Titebond III for Strippers? Thumbs up.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
garypete

Titebond III for Strippers? Thumbs up.

Post by garypete »

Just finished glassing a 16' Prospector built of white cedar and stripped using Titebond III glue. I also used the waterproof glue for the laminated cedar inner and outer stems. Bottom line is it's good stuff for strippers!

Color is medium brown for a good color match with red cedar or white cedar heartwood. Becomes very tacky at 75 degrees in about 10-15 minutes. If you're cleaning up excess glue with a damp sponge, get to it within 15 minutes or forget it. Has strong enough hold in an hour for removing clamps (or staples in my case). Gap-filling qualities are excellent and it has sufficient body to stay in place on even the horizontal strips of a canoe bottom.

It sands and scrapes as well as any glue I've used (Titebond I, Lee Valley, Elmer's Carpenter, 2-part Plastic Resin, etc).

I haven't tried it on oak yet (the acid test), and at $8/quart at my local Menards, it's a little pricey. I used 1.5 quarts to strip the canoe, do the stems, and glue up a 1" x 4" poplar/cherry/poplar llaminated board for accent stripes for four canoes.

The Titebond people hit a home run with this new glue! :applause

Gary

When people finally figure out what's important in Life, there's gonna be a big shortage of canoes.