Endeavour cockpit and hatches

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Derek Kingston

Endeavour cockpit and hatches

Post by Derek Kingston »

Hello everyone, I am building my first kayak the Endeavour 17. I drew all of the station molds out of the book Kayak Craft for the endeavour. The only problem is that there are no measurements for the cockpit and hatches in the book. Does anyone have these measurements or know where I can obtain them instead of buying all of the plans?
Thanks
GC

Cock pit & hatches

Post by GC »

Derek I have built a couple Resolutes and one Chesapeake light craft Kayak.
Although there are recomended sizes for the openings it comes down to personal
choice. For the cock pits on the Resolutes I beleive the measurements are 30" X 20, on the Chesapeak its a little smaller and uses a keyhole design which works and looks very nice. My hatch size was based on the items I planned to carry. They should
be the minimum size to accomodate the items you plan to carry. The back hatch is tapered from 20" to 18" and about 24" long, the front hatches are 8" tapered to 6" by 10"
the location of the hatches also makes a difference. I like to keep the wider opening close to the bulkhead due to the added strength in the area created by the bulkhead.
KenC

Endeavour cockpit & hatches

Post by KenC »

Hi Derek;

My first kayak (and only one so far, but that will soon change) is an Endeavor. As GC said, the shapes and dimensions of the cockpit and hatches are entirely up to you. My cockpit is an egg-shape about 17” wide at its widest point, and about 31” long. I’m 6’5”, and the cockpit is recessed, so I can’t do a butt-first entry with this size of opening. If I recall correctly, the back edge of the cockpit is positioned about 2.5 or 3” aft of station #10.

Good Luck;