changing plans

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
keith

changing plans

Post by keith »

Has anyone changed the plans for 17 ft Endever i would like to build a kayak 15.5 ft long as i already have lots of cedar that is 16ft planks.I have finished a 17ft already and love it.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Keith, if you set up the molds with a spacing of 10.75" instead of 12" but don't shorten the stem molds you should obtain a kayak about 15' 6.625" long. Since you apparently already have the molds it would be a simple matter for you to do the setup. Then you would have to check with a batten to see if the lines are fair or if something has to be modified/readjusted.

This does not mean that you would enjoy the handling characteristics of the new boat though. You will lose some initial stability, some capacity and some tracking. If you do reuse the molds, you should pay the royalty rights to Bear Mountain Boats even if you do modify the boats dimensions.
Doug

Post by Doug »

What about another smaller design?
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/plansKayaksindex.htm

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
JimND

Post by JimND »

I am always leary about changing plans, especially downsizing them since the results aren't very predictable without design software. As Glen noted, you can't really be assured of what the new hull characteristics will be. Having said that, you will be making a hull that is shorter and wider, relatively speaking. This means the angle of entry will be less fine and so it will take a little more energy to push. The shorter length will also decrease the hull speed, meaning it won't keep up with your other kayak without expending more energy. As Glen also noted, the volume will also be decreased, which might be a consideration for the paddler size. It may also adversely affect the stability. Just some thoughts.