Glassing Alone

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
IslandStripper

Glassing Alone

Post by IslandStripper »

I'm ready to glass my endeavor kayak this weekend, however, I'm having difficulty getting help. Has anyone glassed on their own. Is it possible mixing, wetting out on your own. Or are the risks to high and I should just wait until I can round up a mixer.

This will be my second boat, but we had a team of 4 on the first one.
Tom in MN

Glassing alone

Post by Tom in MN »

I have done it by myself, it is not that big of a deal. Make sure that your epoxy has plenty of working time. I would think that one half of a kayak would be easier than a half a canoe. The only problem that you could run into is epoxy setting up before you get finished. THe only thing a helping hand does is allow you to work faster. As long as you have adequate open working time, you should be fine.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Been there, done that! I have never had any help whatsoever with any of my boats. I have used West 105/207 and also a local epoxy with similar working times. I wetout the cloth for about twenty minutes then go back and squeegee. Then I continue the wetout and squeegee procedure until the whole boat is done. Just check your timing and don't squeegee too late or too early. You will pick up the beat in short order.
miguellondono

working alone

Post by miguellondono »

I would not recomend doing the lay up alone, I have had problems with blotch marks at the wet edges using west 105-207. You have to keep the wet edge moving all the time, otherwise the curing process begins and you'll end up with some dark clouds where the wet edges where left for too long. This is just my personal advice. Having built several canoes/kayaks. The colour of the wood also has an effect , as does the temperature. High temp. decreases the working time of the epoxy.
If youwait to long before squeegeeing, the epoxy will thiken and it will be difficult to remove the lines left from the squeegee.
At least try to get someone to mix the epoxy while you apply it to the hull. Just make sure to explain the proper mix of the epoxy.
The first coat on the one that counts, it determines the waye the hull will look, the second and third coat you can do on your own no problem.
Where are you located?
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

This was undoubtedly the most intimidating part for me. I got a video from Newfound Boatworks http://www.newfound.com/books&videos.htm , used MAS slow epoxy, and dove in without help. No problem. The video was very helpful in showing how it's done and relieving the anxiety about doing something that could ruin all that beautiful work.
A hui ho,
Kent
KenC

Post by KenC »

I glassed my Endeavour without a helper. I used Raka 127/350 epoxy. I did as Glen described, switching between wetting out a new section and going back to squeegee an earlier section, and never jeopardized the leading wet edge.

Having said that, if there is someone available and willing to help, take the help. Specifically to mix new batches on your signal.

Be sure to clear out a wide swath of "work area" around the boat before starting. You want to be able to move freely and quickly all around the boat, without having to dodge obstacles or step over trip hazards. DAMHIKT
IslandStripper

Success

Post by IslandStripper »

The three coats are on and with the exception of a couple sags on the last coat no complaints. I did notice however, that were I had some epoxy on the strips from filling voids, Its seamed to be lighter in colour and did not accept the epxoy as well or to the same extent. Comments?

Thanks for all your imput