Titebond III

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
fz7m0d

Titebond III

Post by fz7m0d »

Titebond 3 is advertised as being completely waterproof. Would it be a good choice for laminating paddles? :thinking
Bob
(Confucius Say... Asking a stupid question is better than repairing a stupid mistake.)
Doug

Post by Doug »

In order, I would place;
1 -Epoxy
2 -Polyurethane glue (eg. http://www.gorillaglue.com/gGlue.html )
3 -Titebond III

I have only ever used epoxy to laminate paddles, with no failures yet.
I believe that it is the kind of failure that I do not want.
Having said that, I have always had a surplus of epoxy from fiberglassing projects.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

I used to use epoxy for paddle laminations. I switched to Gorilla about 2 years ago and don't plan to use epoxy again. As long as I have good joints and follow instructions, I have not had any problems. I've not tried Titebond III however.
pangea

Post by pangea »

Titebond 3 works great. Easy to clean up and easy on the pocket book. i used it on this paddle http://usera.imagecave.com/aegnap/PADDLE/
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

Good to know since I have a gallon of Titebond in the shop. I was thinking of using biscuits in the joints for added strength. Any thoughts on this?
Just a cheese burger in Paradise