Oil *AND* varnish??

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
shawnwaite

Oil *AND* varnish??

Post by shawnwaite »

I just finished a bent-shaft paddle (website coming soon) and used Watco Tung Oil on it.. its "ok" but I guess I'm looking for a little more shine/protection.

The can says I can over coat with a "poly" (maybe just theirs?)

Has anyone done this? Is this a bad idea? Currently the oil is still a bit "tacky/grippy" for my taste.. I'm worried about blisters on a long paddle.

Comments/Suggestions welcome.

S.
I still have sawdust up my nose.
Rick

Post by Rick »

It should be OK (it's a one-part polyurethane varnish, right?) since varnishes have oils in their mix, eg, linseed or tung. I'd give the paddle a light sanding first to ensure a good bond.

Two-part polyurethanes are different and will probably not bond well to an oiled finish.
shawnwaite

Thanks

Post by shawnwaite »

Thanks for the reassurance Rick..

S.
I still have sawdust up my nose.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I looked at the watco products, this really is more of a varnish than an oil, is it not? if your worried about blisters, some manufacturers will leave the grip unvarnished, and they will oil the grip. I have a turtle paddle like this, and it is very very nice on your hand, much less prone to blisters with the oil rather than varnish.