Kayak wet entry technique

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Glen Smith

Kayak wet entry technique

Post by Glen Smith »

Let me attempt to describe the kayak wet entry technique.

Place the kayak in water that is a bit less than knee deep (if possible). Stand beside the cockpit and place your paddle so the shaft near one blade crosses the deck just behind the cockpit coaming and the opposite blade is resting on the bottom of the lake, river, whatever. Hold paddle shaft and cockpit coaming with one hand and place the other hand further down the shaft (towards blade in water). Turn slightly sideways and sit on the cockpit coaming where the paddle shaft is located. Bring one foot into the kayak then the other one. Slide your feet into the cockpit and slide your butt off the deck and onto the seat. Get comfortably installed and fasten the sprayskirt. Enjoy your day of paddling.

The same method can be used at a dock if it isn't too high above the kayak. To exit the kayak, reverse the above procedure. Now go and practice it.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I consider that a dry entry, and it’s my usual method. Since I can't get into my kayak butt-first, a foot-first entry is mandatory, and since most of my paddling locations have rocky/stony/concrete launches, starting off in shin-deep water is the norm. I do almost exactly as you describe, although I try not to let the paddle blade rest on the bottom, if I can avoid it. If you're quick about it, you get enough stability just from the paddle blade being under water.

I think of a wet entry as any entry in over-your-head deep water. In practice sessions, my first successful wet entry involved diving under the upside down kayak, squirming into the seat, then rolling upright & pumping the water out of the cockpit. When that fails, I’ve crawled up on the back deck then squirmed into the cockpit, using the paddle as an outrigger for stability. I’ve never used a paddle float.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Ken, technique names can sometimes be confusing. I posted that information in response to one of our members who wanted to know how to get into or out of his kayak at the beach or a dock.

The technique you describe is called a wet re-entry and roll up on most sites I have visited. You're doing better than me, I can't roll and I need the paddle float to execute a re-entry.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not correcting the name you gave to the technique. It's just that there are some techniques that have the same or similar names.