Shine protection

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
mtpocket

Shine protection

Post by mtpocket »

I need ideas of how to maintain the shine on my new boat. I know that some people revarnish season after season. That's really not what I am looking for. What I want is ideas for the daily use when there aren't any scratches. Are there certain polishes, waxes or buffing compounds for this purpose? Thanks in advance
reinbilt

Post by reinbilt »

mt,
I use Pledge Furniture Polish. Rather than spray it on the boat I dampen a rag with a small amount and wipe it over the hull and then buff out with a soft cotton towel.
Bud

Post by Bud »

MT and Reinbilt, While spray on furniture polish will certainly help to keep the shine on your canoe, I would be worried about the next time you wanted to revarnish. Pledge and other furniture polishes contain silicone oil and at least in furniture refinishing applications will cause fish-eye when refinishing. On epoxy I don't think you would have this problem as long as you are THOROUGH in sanding the old finish and probably wiping with thinner before recoating. Still you never can be sure until it's tried. Fish-eye can be worked around by adding silicone oil to your new finish, but it's an extra step and aggravation. My two cents. Bud
Denis

shine

Post by Denis »

I would suggest simply using and old towel or chamois to wipe down boat after use. I seldom wipe my kayaks down and they stay shiny :wink . As mentioned before any type of wax or spray will likely make refinishing much more work down the road.

Denis from Lakefield Ontario

PS I was very impressed with the detail on your canoe at the rendevous.
Woodchuck

Bad Silicone...

Post by Woodchuck »

GOLDEN RULE If "IT" has silicone in it, don't use it on a boat... Don't even put the stuff in the same building with a boat... :crying :crying :crying
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
KenC

Post by KenC »

woodchuk - with those crybaby emoticons, I thought you might add DAMHIKT (don't ask me how I know that). I smell a story.
Woodchuck

No story...

Post by Woodchuck »

NO STORY... I just know about "fisheyes" and finishes. I used to sell large air compressors and the oil that with them. I sold a unit to Steelcase Executive Wood Desk Div. and before they would use "my" oil, it had to be tested for any silicione content PERIOD... No questions asked... if it had silicone in it, don't bring it into the plant. The smallest bit of silicone would migrate through the plant air and cause fisheyes on fine finished wood furniture They had samples of what "fisheyes" looked like and it wasn't even a joking mater. Very serious stuff down in Arden, NC

If you go the the boards of the WCHA, Wooden Canoe Heritage Assoc. or the ACC, Arkansas Canoe Assoc., you will find many topics about silicone and boats and, to boot, it's not good for the evironment either.

Does this reply count as a story... :cool :cool :cool

ps. KenC... I used to work at a fishing camp on Jack Lake in Apsley, Ont. all through junior and high school many years ago...
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Not sure if it has silicone in it, but I use 303 on all my boats. It's made to protect boats from UV. It works on plastic, wood, and composites.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I did a google search for 303 and found multiple links. One of them said:
Outlasts the leading brand of vinyl treatment by 4-10 times, yet contains no harmful silicone oils or petroleum distillates.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com