truck racks and loading

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
fisherguytoo

truck racks and loading

Post by fisherguytoo »

:thinking :confused
I am looking for a rack for my truck to carry my 15' Ranger Prospector.

At present I am using the two 2 x4s with rain gutter hold downs. I use these to sit the canoe on with adjustable straps to hold the canoe down that are attached to the truck finder wells and hardware that is installed on the cab of the truck.

I cannot think of anything that would upset me more than looking out the rear window
and seeing my pride and joy tumbling down the highway. :crying

I would like to find, and or build, a rack system that would provide an easy loading
system and a secure tie down.

What system do you use ??????
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

fisherguytoo,

Not all racks fit all trucks nor will they all fit your needs. Do you have a full size, mid size or small truck? Do you need a rack that will also be removable?

In many cases, I have seen paddlers use a rack similar to the ladder racks used by construction workers. They offer strength, ample tie down points and are very plentiful. The drawbacks include weight, lack of padding and are not easily loaded by one person. Here is an example:

Another style rack is made of two separate pieces but works much the same way. Here is an example:

I have also seen a truck locally that has a rack on its top similar to a luggage rack and an insert in the hitch that supports the stern of the canoe. Here is an example:

A quick look at the properties of the photos will show you where the products can be purchased.
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

I paid $50.00 for the homebrew rear rack(see photo). The rack on the cab of the truck is a yakima rack which cost considerably more than $50 bucks. A local welding shop made the rear rack. They also made the bicycle rack that bolts to the rear bumper....another $50 bucks.

I think that the commercial racks should be considered if they can be transfered to different
vehicles. The yakima racks can be used on different vehicles by purchasing an inexpensive
roof clip. I guess this is what you might call "Cost Justification".

My arrangement would not be appropriate where the bed of the truck twists in relation to the cab when driving off road. On my Ford Ranger, the body and cab seem to all move together.

KG4YOL
Libelle

Post by Libelle »

Having a special arrangement on my camper truck, since having a pop-out top, I was force to design my own rack. It results in something very practical and easy to use and probably interesting for others to build one. Pulling the bar on the side of the truck, facilitate getting my boat on top and attaching it, and then I just slide the boat back over the truck in place.
Its all made off aluminum and cost appreciatively 180$ to build.

Gaetan
Image[/img]
Image[/img][img]

See the roller system at http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/ ... ion012.jpg