Paddle opinions wanted

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Rob from Hamilton

Paddle opinions wanted

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

:thinking I was just looking for your opinions on paddles. What is the most important thing in a paddle? What is the best way to build a paddle - laminated, or one piece? What type of wood do you prefer? Why? How long does it take to build a paddle? Who builds cedar paddles?
Thanks!
Rob from Hamilton
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Are you thinking kayak or canoe paddle?
Rob from Hamilton

canoe paddles

Sorry guys, I'm looking for opinions on canoe paddles.
Rob
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

This might be a dumb question but did you browse the Paddle Forum on this website. there's alot of good stuff in there.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rick

Post by Rick »

Besides the chapter in CanoeCraft, Paddlemaking 101 covers some additional areas in straight shafts:

http://groups.msn.com/paddlemaking101

Bent shafts are preferred by some for more power, especially when sitting:

http://bluestempaddler.com/canoe_paddle/

My fave happens to be the Cree paddle made from flexible single-piece cherry, and narrower from what's shown in 101, however, I haven't tried 'em all, and there are probably as many preferences as paddlers.
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Doug

Post by Doug »

So many different types out there, so many different conditions as well.

The paddle that I take with me for a week long trip is different than the one I take on a Sunday afternoon.

One size does not fitt all, in the paddle.

....Generally I use an Ottertail. Cherry. Solid.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
cedar stroker

canoe paddle

Post by cedar stroker »

I perfer the bent shaft canoe paddles,Mostly because I race canoe's,and you get so much more out of a power stroke.I have several,but the best one's,I own are Carbon fiberbent shaft paddles,that are tough as steel,and weigh only 8-10 oz. .But you pay Big bucks for them,but I've started making my own,and they work great.
hoz

Post by hoz »

Different strokes for different situations. For expedition canoeing I use a Black Rec Zaveral bent shaft and a Werner Canoe Point straight. The Zav is for flat water and the Werner for white water.

For day tripping I take what ever suits my fancy. I have several homemade straight shafts in ottertail, algonquin, voyageur and beavertail designs.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Rob from Hamilton

paddle types, opinions

The reason I was asking is my 16 year old son has started making paddles with a vengeance. In the past few weeks we've gone from a 3 ( 20 year old) paddle houselhold to about a ten paddle household. He's even got people asking people to make them one or two. He carves them out of a cedar deck board in about an hour, including the time to cut the shape out with a jig saw. If he wanted to he could make almost one a night, but we don't need them all, and I can't afford the wood!
I was just curious because a friend of mine bought a beautiful walnut or cherry paddle a few years ago, and paid almost $100 for it, but my son has made at least 7 cedar paddles, for about $100. They're way lighter, and prettier, ( He sometimes does inlays too, and places knots in neat places where strength doesn't matter) but they might not be as strong. I'll have to weigh them to see exactly how heavy they are.
I want him to slow down and see how fancy he can get, and to look at some of the links on this site.
Thanks to everyone for comments. Much appreciated!
Rob
hoz

Post by hoz »

Grahmn adn Gidmarks book on paddle making is the best. Covers a lot of different designs and has templates to help in layout.
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I'm a bent shaft fan, and I use the 8oz Lightweight Zav paddle.

Here is a shameless plug for something I wrote about bent shafts. It actually started as a post on this forum.

http://www.nessmuking.com/bent.htm