Double Paddle

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
woodworkerdb

Double Paddle

Post by woodworkerdb »

I am ready to make a double paddle for my almost finished Rob Roy and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions whether I should feather the blades 60 or 90 degrees or leave them on the same plane? this will be my first at using a double paddle and want to keep it simple. thanks Dale
DortoH

Post by DortoH »

I had a double paddle made for my Rob Roy and the blades are on the same angle. I can't remember the exact reason the builder gave, but I have no complaints.

You could use a ferrule in the center and then it would be adjustable :)

http://www.noahsmarine.com/Canada/Paddl ... s-can.html

Scroll all the way to the bottom for a look at a ferrule.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I made mine unfeathered and later cut it and installed a ferrule but just because the full length paddle was too cumbersome to put in the car.
woodworkerdb

Double Paddle

Post by woodworkerdb »

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys helped make up my mind to purchase a ferrule and be able to use it feathered or not, also being able to brake it down to a decent size is something I overlooked. thanks,DaleI
Don

Post by Don »

Feathered gives a greater chance of straining your wrists and creating an injury. When unfeathered, the blade not in the water catches wind. My preference is unfeathered. (I also used a ferrule for my European style paddle and am in the process of switching to a greenland paddle for my sea kayak.
good luck
don
Rick

Post by Rick »

All kinds of information on making and using a Greenland paddle:

http://www.paddlewise.net/topics/boateq ... green2.pdf