Meranti paddle

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
geordie

Meranti paddle

Post by geordie »

In the frustration of not being able to start my Red bird, I purchased a piece of Meranti, and armed with my trusty " Canoe Paddles" I got to work on a paddle. My tools at this stage consist of a jigsaw, a chisel, a flat based spoke shave, a few clamps, a rounded rasp and a plane.
So far so good, I have all but finished the carving and am weighing in at 1.7 pounds with a fair bit of flex too.
I used the Algonquin design only because of the width of the available wood.
To my disappointment, I discovered that the Meranti had been laminated. Not a big deal, but firstly they did not warn me, secondly they could at least have got the grain in the same directions, and I am also not sure of the wateproofness (is their such a word) of the glue, so I am going to varnish and not oil.
Also, guess where I won't be buying my timber for the gunnels and finishes.

Does anyone have any experience of using Meranti in paddle/boat making?

I will post a picture when I learn how. (I make a living selling high technology electronic components and imaging systems, by the way).

Geordie
sedges

seal with epoxy

Post by sedges »

I would recommend that you seal the paddle with epoxy resin, the same stuff you will use on your canoe. Given that you don't know the nature of the glue used to laminate the piece you should put the best coating on that you can. Of course if the paddle fails on the glue line you can at that time glue it back together with epoxy.
hoz

Post by hoz »

I got a case of paddle anti envy last month. Took a piece of 1/4" luan and epoxied it to a basswood shaft at 12 degrees. I did lay up a handle with two strips of red cedar on the sides of the shaft. Wound up with a perfectly servicable lightweight bent shaft that is as efficent propelling my canoe as my black Zaveral or a Puddicombe.

I agree it may look a little rough. But it didn't cost over 10 bucks!
someday I'll fly, someday I'll soar
geordie

Post by geordie »

I will have to go and look for "good" timber at the chaps who specialize in the more exotic woods.. The local Builders Warehouse type stores only stock SAP ( South African pine) , Meranti and particle board. The SAP varies quite a bit but is always knotty. It appears as if the Meranti , in any decent width is laminated. Difficult to see if you are not looking for it.
My dream is to carve a paddle in Yellow Wood, but this is so scarce and expensive that I will practice on cheaper woods first and see what type of paddle is best suited to my canoe / style (yet to be identified) first.

For the actual canoe, a Redbird, I have located a supply of Cypress, or it may be Japanese Juniper, anyway, I was given a sample and it's density is about the same a white cedar and it is a bit brittle, but "works" just fine. It may be a little bland, but the same company also has short lengths of red cedar, or what he calls red cedar , and this should accent the cypress just fine.

I do not have enough equipment to laminate at the moment, so it will remain carving of solid pieces for the time being.