Paddle lengh

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Arno photo

Paddle lengh

Post by Arno photo »

Hello everybody,
Today i've bought bandsaw in way to cut strips for my next canoe. But first i want to train myself in woodwork. So i decide to begin building paddle.
My question is this one: How do i determinate paddle lengh?
Rick

Post by Rick »

Here's one way...

http://www.nashwaakpaddles.com/paddles. ... ddlelength

I kneel most of the time when paddling, so the distance from the hand gripping the paddle at waist level to the chin is about right for me. Sitting paddlers usually go with 2-3 inches longer.
Arno photo

Post by Arno photo »

Thanks Rick,
So i'll try a 58" one in a first time.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

There are many different ways to come up with the proper length for a paddle. The one that I like the best is you sit down and sit up straight, then you take a measurement from the thing you're sitting on to the top of your forehead. This is the length of the straight paddle shaft you should use. The blade is added to that length.

Most bent shaft paddles are size 50" or 52". I have very seldom seen anyone paddle with a shorter or longer bent shaft. I use a 52", but would like a 51", but I haven't gotten around to ordering one yet.

I'd really like to try on of the paddles from the site mentioned my Rick with a medium flex. They look so good.
stonehollow

Paddle length

Post by stonehollow »

It depends on what you're doing (of course). I prefer a beavertail style when paddling stern. I like one that barely fits between my outstretched fingertips.

For bow paddling, I prefer a more traditional paddle - smaller at the tip than the widest part.

I only do lake paddling, so that's another difference to consider.

35 years ago, we (Boy Scouts) taught that the padddle should reach from the ground to just below the tip of your nose.
Arne
Doug

Post by Doug »

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Rapt

Post by Rapt »

So many ways to size a paddle. :big grin

The best way is to have it fitted "in use". I like the paddle to reach from the lower and at the throat just above water level to the upper hand straight out from the shoulder, your arm parallel to the water.

Or an approximation of that is to rest the shaft on your head and hold it at top and throat. If the shaft is the right length then your arms form approximately 90 degree angles at the elbows.

Some variation is feasible and can be adjusted to suit personal preference, style, need for additional reach/leverage, etc. But the key is that the shaft length determines the "fit", the blade is sized to suit the paddler's strength and cadence.

I grew up paddling and routinely used a much large paddle than fit me, so it took a long time to train myself to shorter paddles.

Now most of mine are near 60" long, but the shaft is rarely more than 32" of that. I like a long narrow blade for deep water tripping. Its easier on the joints and makes corrections, steering and control motions much smaller than necessary with a short wide blade. Blade shape is usually classified as otter tail, or willow leaf.

Its not the best shape for maximum power output, but its the most comfortable (for me) for all day, everyday paddling.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

I'll chime in on size, too :razz

I prefer a fairly long paddle for my height: 63". I paddle stern exclusively (can't find an experienced paddling buddy), and like the long reach for corrective strokes and sweeping around the stern. Also an advantage in paddle splash fights!

I learned this summer, though, as I started paddling solo and heeled over, I needed a MUCH shorter paddle!! So now I have a 53" as well.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Those paddle splash fights are much less fun when paddling solo.
:eyebrows
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Randy,
SOOO true, but I always win!!

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
jess_hawk

Post by jess_hawk »

I like a long paddle for my height, too. I don't know the exact lengths on ours (I'm at my dorm and the paddles are at home) but I know that the shorter paddle was bought by my dad on my brothers directions as "the correct length" for me (dad had never canoed before, my brother and I had, but I wasn't around to test the length). At one point for some reason I ended up with the longer paddle and it was so much nicer! I tried other, even longer paddles on a trip I took (scouts or something) and figured out that my favorite length is about a foot longer than the paddle my brother bought for me. :eyebrows so I make him paddle with the short one and I his long one! :twisted evil