Kayak on Car

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Doug

Kayak on Car

Post by Doug »

How do you put your kayak on your car?

I bought a Yakima car rack, with saddles & rollers.
http://yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=47
The rollers are still to fall from the back of the car to really be of use! $^$^$&*)

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Doug,

I'm not sure if you are asking how one loads a kayak using rollers or how one transports a kayak. I have not used rollers as I carry mine using cradles I made following Ross Leidy's instructions.

Here is how it looks on the car. The downside is that you have to lift the kayak up and place it into the cradles. But it is a very sturdy way to transport the kayak. I tie down the bow and stern also.
ImageImage

Dale
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I use a commercial version of the rack that Dale uses. I love mine and haven't found anything better. I like my cradle better than a roller/saddle combo, and it fits on a Yak Rack.

Here's a link to what I use: http://www.maloneautoracks.com/water_sp ... uct=mpg106
Denis

yakima racks

Post by Denis »

I use the yakima rack system with my venture van. I load the kayaks from the rear of the van using the roller system to advance the boat to the saddles. To clarify that I mean I lift the boat over my head and walk it forward till it meets the roller system then I roll it forward. It would be nice if the rear racks were closer to the back but as I do not have the factory installed rails I have no other option. My wife however is not able to load the boats by herself but can if she has a helper. (and a stepstool ) due to the height. If we had a car I would simply use 2 sets of mako saddles or the J rack system the previous respondant is showing you. They can be made or purchased.
When we had a dakota truck with a cap I simply used plywood form lined with carpet bolted to the roof rack and slid the boat on from the rear or if I had a helper we lifted the boats into place from the side.

This question you raise is a very valid one and I often caution prople who want to get into kayaking or canoeing to determine first of all whether or not they can physically handle and load the boat by themselves. If they can't, then they need to rethink what they want to do and how to do it. I have seen some trailer systems which might be the answer for those who cannot use a roof rack system for whatever reason.

Denis from Lakefield Ontario
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

This topic probably needs to be moved to "Transportation", but to add to the discussion: I have seen a rack that pops down alongside the car and then raises back into position on top for those with tall SUV's or vans. I was just on the Yakima site and didn't see it, and don't remember where I did, but it's out there. Maybe that's your solution. That or a ramp... :wink

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Topic has been moved to "Transportation".

Greg, the device you refer to is the Yakima "Hullavator".
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-897 ... -rack.html

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 19_7195182