Broken Paddle

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Doug

Broken Paddle

Post by Doug »

Any recommendations on fixing a broken paddle?
The break is about 6" long on the shaft.
It broke on a knot.
Home made.

Splice?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Charles G. Clark, Jr.

Post by Charles G. Clark, Jr. »

I am not trying to be flipant, but since you made that one, why not make another?

If you repair your broken paddle, it WILL break later when it is most inconvenient.
TexasWoody

Receipt for broken paddle, etc

Post by TexasWoody »

1. Make paddle at home. ENJOY! Show friends. Be happy.
2. Have great day padling with challenges all around, and OOOOOPS - broke stick! :crying

3. Plan outdoor event, or if you live North of Smith and Wesson line (where it gets cold) plan indoor event WITH FIRE!
4. Burn broken paddle with gusto and great emotion. :twisted evil
5. Make new paddle (be more sensative to knots and other wood flaws) :eyebrows
6 Be more careful in padling or go back to step 2. :rolling eyes

I have made three paddles in the past while from stuff laying around the shop. Great fun. I also like to repair things and I'd try a splice with a long scarf joint. I'd also use the old standard wood glues. Key here is to maximmize face grain. [/i]
Texaswoody
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Here is the basic method that is described in Warren & Gidmark's book on paddle making as far as I remember reading about it. I have not tried the method.
See the crude illustration. 1) reassemble the shaft; 2) cut away part of the break (on a bandsaw?) to about half-way through the paddle (I think); 3) glue in place thin pieces of wood to replace the broken & cut away wood; 4) repeat for the other side and 5) trim both sides to match the rest of the shaft.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Bryan
Doug

Post by Doug »

Yes, that's the one.
Thanks, Bryan

Nice kayak on your blog too.

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM