paddeling position

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Stargzr57

paddeling position

Post by Stargzr57 »

Hello, I hope this isnt a silly question...wellll here goes, when I and sitting in my bob,s special canoe solo the stern of the boat is slightly up out of the water, this seems common with canoes riding solo in a tandem canoe. Does anyone ride backwards in the stern seat ? The searn seat is more toward the center of the boat rides more level, I tryed it once and it seemed to be alittle more stable or is it just me? JUst wondering if anyone has tryed this.

Thanks and happy paddeling, Steve W.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Steve,

Did you mean to ask if anyone has tried riding backwards (canoe reversed) while sitting in the bow seat position?

Snowman
Snowman back East
Stargzr57

Post by Stargzr57 »

:embarassed Ummm yes I guess that was really my question ..

Thanks , Steve W.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Sitting backwards in the bow seat is a very popular method of soloing a tandem canoe but it isn't the perfect position. Kneeling closer to the center thwart will keep the canoe on a better trim.
Stargzr57

Post by Stargzr57 »

Thanks Glen ! you have been alot of help here, I bet if you had a dollar for every time you helped someone on here you would be a rich man :wink

Steve W.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

That was something I was thinking of asking as well about my Bob's. I tried sitting 'reverse' on the bow seat and paddling solo, but I found it to be REALLY hard to go anywhere close to straight. I got out a bit into a lake, took forever to turn around, and then slowly worked my way back - I haven't tried again.

Please let us know how it goes if you try kneeling towards the centre.

Cheers,
Kerry