finished an Aleut paddle

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
sluggo

finished an Aleut paddle

Post by sluggo »

This paddle was shaped based on Rob Macks' plans. The shaft is laminated pine with walnut, and the blades have laminated wrc. It looks nice but it is a lot heavier than the all-wrc greenland paddle I carved.

pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Very nice sluggo. How long do you think it took you to make? The one I made I think it took me longer to draw all the reference lines on it than it did to actually carve. That says as much about how slow I am adding markings as it does about how quickly they can be shaped.
Cheers,
Bryan
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

For sure the part that took the longest was doing the laminations. I only laminated 1 piece per day, so if I was trying to finish it as quickly as possible that would have been the determining factor. I guess I could have comfortably done 2 laminations at once though. I didn't draw too many lines on this one. When I did a Chuck Holst GP, that one took a while to draw the profile. This one was a lot more "winging" it.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Sluggo,
very nice paddle :applause

The design is very elegant, and a nice use of contrasting woods! Hope she paddles as good as she looks.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."