canoe paddle - a few opinions?

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
sluggo

canoe paddle - a few opinions?

Post by sluggo »

Waiting for the epoxy to cure on the Freedom before I take it off the forms (yeah!), I've started making a pair of laminated bent shaft paddles. The shafts are made from laminations of ash and walnut. For the blade I have a few options. In order to get the blade wide enough I kept added wood as you can see in the photos below. The first picture shows mahogany near the center with alaskan yellow cedar on the outside and walnut strips in between. I then added some more AYC to widen it, then some more walnut. I think in the end the design looks a bit busy but it's still okay. Alternatively I could just add a wider piece of maple on the outside instead of the ayc. I'd have to buy the maple though. (wait... I did this paddle work yesterday and just now I realize that the short piece of ash I thought I had might be maple... if so then problem solved). Any opinions on the designs below are welcome! thanks.

Last edited by sluggo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

My opinion is that it will turn out GREAT! I would sure like to see some more pics as you do this, particularly on doing the bent shaft!!!
willo

Post by willo »

Looks good to me. But you might want to have hardwood on the edges instead of cedar. It will be more durable and can be carved thinner.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I like it and think it will turn out just fine.