Help with bending canoe paddle

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
sluggo

Help with bending canoe paddle

Post by sluggo »

Hi,
I've now had a chance to return to some boat building stuff after a long absense and decided to work on my bent shaft canoe paddles.

Yesterday I set up my bending form, steamed my strips, and clamped them in the bent position. I anticipated a bit of rebound after clamping, but the strips actually rebounded a lot! I think that the strips went from a 13 degree bend to maybe 7 degrees. Once they are glued I guess it will stay in position a bit better but I imagine there will still be significant rebound.

What is the logical path forward? Build another form and use this to bend the wood? Then glue the strips in their relaxed position (no form)? I would have to guess at the angle to use for this, maybe it will be a few trys before I get the angle correct.

Secondly, a couple of my strips cupped after the steaming. Not too sure what to do about this... I was planning on using PU glue for laminations but if there are gaps because of the cupping then I'll have to use epoxy. Maybe next time it would be better to try and localize the steaming area. Perhaps just have kettle eject steam over the bending area (ie don't put the strips in a steam tube). Or maybe I could soak the bending area in water and try and use a heat gun. I'm using 1/4" thick walnut and ash. I tried using a heat gun on some walnut but it didn't seem to want to bend very much.

Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Sluggo,

I have two suggestions for you wrt the shaft angle and your current product:

a. you could continue your paddle and use the 7 degree product; or

b. send me the 7 degree shaft and I will use it.

I have been wanting to build a bent shaft paddle and I was planning on a 7 degree. I don't know how much experience you have with bent shafts, but I subscribe to the thoughts/views noted in the following article:

http://www.redrockstore.com/paddles/7degree3.htm

The 7 degree paddle works great in the stern or solo.

I say continue your build (unless you want to take the proposed option b, above). Good luck.

Snowman
Snowman back East
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

hi Snowman,

In 18hrs I'll know how much springback there is. I'm betting on 1/8" of inch after the glue dries.

cheers
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

The glue-up worked very well. There was only about 1/16" springback, so far so good!

s
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

sluggo,

Good to hear it turned out fine - I kind of thought that the final laminated product would not be far off (providing you glued up on the form).

Keep us up to date on progress. I am curious to see how heavy and what kind of balance you get, given your wood selection for shaft laminates.

Snowman
Snowman back East