What do i do if it rains!

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
alick burt

What do i do if it rains!

Post by alick burt »

Hi every body,
I finally launched my Peterborough Canoe Last Sunday for the first time.
This was on the river Nene (which incidentally flows through Peterborough In the UK).
I had a fantastic time and am now aconfirmed canoeing addict.
On sunday night I travelled up to yorkshire where I am currently working and was also able to canoe on the derwent from howsham Hall to kirkham abbey for a couple of drinks and a meal at the pub after work.
Needless to say I did this all three nights I was there as i just cant get enough.
My question is now that I am home again and the weather is looking like rain what should I do if I was canoeing and got caught in a rain storm?
I would also like to add a big Thankyou to all who have helped answer my building questions and Ted Moores for writing the book that started me on this adventure!
many thanks
Alick Burt
:applause
frugal

Post by frugal »

You could always do what I do.....Get wet ;-)

Seriously though, a friend of mine always says that canoeing is a water sport so you should expect to get wet. His biggest pet peeve is seeing people run a canoe up on the shore so they don't get their feet wet. Where I paddle this would be on solid granite.

I wear polar fleece clothing if it's cool and carry a waterproof shell in case it rains. As long as there is no lightning paddling in the rain doesn't bother me. It's definitely better than being at the office.
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Frugal
Thankyou for your reply I was thinking about the effect of the canoe filling up with water and possibly sinking??
As in If i'm canoeing solo I won't be able to bale out water and paddle at the same time!
Which leads me to another thought.If it did capsize would it sink to the bottom of the river or would the timber element of the construction keep it partially submerged in a way that i could retrieve it?
i've got to go home and eat some tea now I've been at the workshop late playing with my front seat position and working on a pair of wheels to assist me on land,but I'll be back tommorrow as I'm going on another trip rain or shine!
cheers
Alick
:thinking
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Wow, how hard does it rain over on your side of the pond? ;)

Seriously, I've been out in some pretty hard rains and it takes a long time to amount to much in the canoe. Unless it's really windy, you should be able to put down the paddle once every 20 minutes or half an hour and sponge/bail the bottom of the boat to get most of the water out. I've paddled in all day rains and never had to make any extra stops to do any bailing, just doing it during a lunch break or at the end of the paddling day. In that case it would be a gentle steady rain, not a downpour. For the heavy downpour I'd normally be making my way to shore sooner rather than later, but I've paddled through those too.

A good rain jacket & pants will help keep you mostly dry, but expect wet shoes & hands. A good hood on the jacket or a good hat will keep the rain off of your head and keep it from running down the back of your neck. Wool socks in a pair of neoprene wet shoes or just an old pair of runners works well to keep feet warm when wet. Quick-dry pants will help the legs dry out after the rain lets up.

When soemthing goes awry, your wood canoe should float without any extra floatation, but it won't float very high. It'll probably sink to the gunwales, or nearly so, and your own weight in the canoe could submerge it (but it'll pop back up as soon as you get out). Might be worth testing out on a quite pond so there are no surprises or panic when it happens for real.

Cheers,
Bryan

p.s. just came in from the garage where I was rebuilding some parts of my kayak (the "moby" hidden hatch latch mechanism).
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Thanks for your replies guys
I am thoroughly hooked to this canoeing thing now and all my spare time is spent on the river hence my slow reply!
I did find myself in a heavy downpour which even then resulted in just half an inch or so of water in my canoe so it was fine. On another occasion I found shelter under a bridge where I sat carefully and watched the fish beneath me until the rain passed.It seems I was in a panic over nothing but I think I may carry a sponge just in case I really get caught out sometime!!
Regards
Alick. :applause