canoe storage solution with a difference

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
alick burt

canoe storage solution with a difference

Post by alick burt »

Hi folks
Just thought I'd share my canoe storage solution with you.I spent a bit of time messing around with pipes and a central heating pump and came up with this.
The canoe is lowered by opening the tap and as it begins to move you close the tap as the water container rises past you to the top.
I have added a pair of hooks(made of plywood) that hold the almost empty container in the upper position to enable the slings to be taken off the canoe without the slings shooting up to the ceiling!
When I return I put the canoe back on the slings release the hooks with a long stick and switch on the pump which pumps the water back up the pipe into the container.lastly I turn the pump off as the canoe begins to rise.Effortless!
Enjoy
AlickImageImageImageImage
Glen Smith

Re: canoe storage solution with a difference

Post by Glen Smith »

Do you compensate for evaporation?
Ingenious by the way!
alick burt

Re: canoe storage solution with a difference

Post by alick burt »

Hi Glen
I haven't noticed much evaporation so far and just occasionally add a pint or so from the bottom of the kettle to keep it topped up.
It is great fun to use and for an extra water feature you can leave the tap open as the container rises but it can get a bit splashy!
cheers
Alick