which paddle?

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Rabbit

which paddle?

Post by Rabbit »

being optimistic that the bob's special i'm in the middle of building isn't going to sink like a stone, i've started to look at paddles. i'm not really up to making my own, and the only wooden paddles i can get here are made by grey owl.

so... what to get for solo paddling. there is quite a range, but if i follow the bill/becky mason school of thought, it looks like guide paddle is the way to go. any thoughts?
alick burt

Re: which paddle?

Post by alick burt »

Hi Rabbit
Are you sure you don't want to make your own paddle?I found it a really rewarding part of the build and despite having been a cabinetmaker all my life I found the book Canoe Paddles a complete guide to making your own by Graham Warren and David Gidmark (ISBN-13:978-1-55209-525-6)
(ISBN-10: 1-55209-525-8) an inspiration.
This book may inspire you too but it also has good advice on choice of and paddle types and sizes etc.
Hope this helps
Regards
Alick
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

I just ordered the DVD; I hope it's as good as I anticipate.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

alick: the canoe build is kinda about all the building i wanna do. having said that, the excess material for the trim.....

could be used for the blades and the hull material that didn't meet my requirements could be used to make a bird's mouth shaft. i have pdf's for a number of profiles. still not sure.