First paddle.....sort of

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
TX_yakker

First paddle.....sort of

Post by TX_yakker »

My first attempt at making a bent shaft paddle ended with a twisted shaft and a frustrated me. I had seen pictures of someones build, but it didnt have much in the way of wording to describe the build and rather than get a book I just figured I would give it a go. I missed probably the most important step, making sure that your jig is nice and SQUARE. Missing that minor detail, combined with the fact that I only put clamps on on side I think helped seal that things fate. I got busy with work and didnt feel like trying again. Well, building a canoe, I naturally need a sweet stick to paddle it with. With a different style jig than last time, AND the knowledge that said jig needs to have nice square edges along the sides compressing the shaft, I got to work!

Next step is the shaping. Probably do that tomorrow
Glen Smith

Re: First paddle.....sort of

Post by Glen Smith »

You seem to be off to a good start.
TX_yakker

Post by TX_yakker »

paddle is coming along nicely. Having never done this before, my blade seems to still be a little thick up near the stem..........i think. I'm really not sure since I dont have plans that I'm going by to build this. I realize every paddle is unique in its own way. I want to make sure from a "structural" standpoint that it would still be safe to remove more material and have a uniform blade, or are the bent shaft paddles typically a taper like this up towards the shaft?

Here's an overall shot
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You can definitely take a bunch off the blade near the shaft.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com