My paddles

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Mark R

My paddles

Post by Mark R »

Just a picture of a couple of paddles made to Chuck Holst's instructions, I can probably find the site again if anyone is interested. They were a fairly simple 8 hour project eachImage
Keep your stick on the ice!!!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Mark, they look excellent.
What kind of wood are they made from?
(Cedar, ash, walnut by the look of them)

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Mark R

Paddles

Post by Mark R »

Hi Doug,

The one on the left is wrc and ash, the one on the right is wrc and red spruce, its a great way to turn scraps and offcuts into something useful.

Mark
Keep your stick on the ice!!!
Doug

Post by Doug »

Ya, I made one out of a spare cedar deck board and a spoke shaver. I think it was an $8 paddle.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Mark,

Could you post the link to Chuck Holst's instructions? I like to view them.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Bassbug, if you go to Ross Leidy's website: http://www.blueheronkayaks.com/kayak/index.html and click on "Paddles" you will find a thorough explanation of Ross' method of building the Greenland Paddle according to Chuck's instructions. Very good information and well illustrated!
itfitz

Post by itfitz »

Is that snow? Burrrrrrrrr. must make for a faily short canoeing season. I never wish to see that fluffy white stuff again. By the way, the paddles look great.
Just a cheese burger in Paradise