Epoxy on paddle blade tip

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
patrick

Epoxy on paddle blade tip

Post by patrick »

Do you mix in any kind of special thing in the epoxy used on the tips of pladdle blades? Graphite? How do you go about doing this? Where can i find instructions for adding epoxy to a blade tip? Thanks, Patrick.
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

I mix filler (West 408 Microfibers Adhesive Filler) and sanding dust in my epoxy. You can see how I do this at http://bluestempaddler.com/canoe_paddle/index.html and click on the epoxy tip link. If you look at the topic labeled "In Gilpatrick's book" in the Paddle forum, there was some discussion about tip material http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... .php?t=875
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Patrick,
I haven't built a paddle yet, but I like Doug's approach in the aformentioned "in Gilpatricks book" thread. That's what I'm going to try when I get around to building a paddle.
Kent

When I have cut out may paddle blank, I cut (with a hand saw) a deep groove, where the end of the blade tip will be.
The groove is about 1/8 - 1/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch deep.
I then duct tape to seal the groove, all but a small opening at the top of the (upside down paddle) blade.
I then have a rouph mold.
I then pour epoxy into the blade tip / mold.
Watch for about an hour as the epoxy as it will settle out.
Let it cure for about two days.

Use the epoxy tip as your center line and make your paddle.

Happy paddleing,
Doug
A hui ho,
Kent
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I use straight epoxy, no filler. Suspend the paddle in a little mold full of epoxy, then scrape and sand to shape after it has hardened.

I wonder if using filler would prevent chipping of the epoxy tip.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, a paddle tip isn't really the right application for graphite, which provides more of a lubricating effect. Great for a canoe hull when scraping over rocks but not really any benefit on a canoe paddle. Silica added to the epoxy would increase hardness if that is what you are looking for. But plain epoxy has worked well enough for me and it makes for an almost clear tip which I prefer on a nice cherry paddle.