Non-Bear Mountain Designs

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Rehd Brown

Re: Non-Bear Mountain Designs

Post by Rehd Brown »

Thanks Brian.
Haven't had much time to get out and look for that cord, but, I'll definitely use your formula on the next build. I can't seem to find the surgical tubing locally, but there are several places that have the shockcord, so that's how I'll go.

Put on a couple more strips yesterday and thought I’d show how I’m dealing with the severe twist at the stems. It’s close to a 75 – 80* twist in the last 18 to 24” at the ends.
I just clamp a small clamp onto the strip with a dowel, extending away from the hull, and clamp on a couple more clamps for weight and let it hang there for a while. I can use the heat gun on that last 18” or so and speed up the process.

Here’s a closer look. Eventually it will turn the strip away from the hull and when I pull the clamps it springs back to vertical. Once they are shaped, I pull them off and apply glue. So much easier than trying to clamp the strip under pressure.

Time to get out and add another strip to each side so I can head back to the garage and cut a few more strips and get them prepped. Looking forward to trying out the new router table.

Also want to apply some hot glue at the 1st and 2nd forms where it wants to spring away from the form.
The straps have made it soooooo much easier.

While my hay is growing I have another project going. A total remake of my shop, starting with tool maintenance, and then tearing down old bulky cabinets and getting my power tools mounted to moving tables/stands. Tired of being too crowded and trading tools on the one big work bench.
Got another hand full of F-clamps for Christmas. Great for tool jigs and projects.

Rehd
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Looks like you have a good handle on the twist, if you have a c clamp, it might be easier to use that on the strip end. Just clamp it to the flat sides, gives a much better handle to add the torque you need for the strip. You can add weight, cord or bungee to get the twist you need.

I think this is what Randy was suggesting in an earlier post, I think it's where I learned it from ....

Brian
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Well, second time in a row.. pulled the straps off and the strips pulled away from the forms. I even put ‘hot-melt’ glue on the worst offenders. Popped right off...
I have tried about everything to this point and it just isn’t happening. However, after sitting down and thinking about it for a while, and after reading Brians method, I think that will cure what’s going on.

I was gluing the strips and clamping them first, out away from the forms, then pulling them in with the straps. It was slightly distorting the hull at the forms to bring the strips down to the form, then when the pressure was removed, they’d pop back out where they were clamped on. I’m not going to fix this because the strips are slightly too long in the bowed out position and already glued on the stems. By using Brians description, I put the latest strips on and held them loosely in place until the straps were tightened down, THEN added the clamps and pulled the strips together. They fit better, and pulled down to the forms much easier. I’m sure it’s not going to fix all my woes with one strip, but, if I continue to do it right( as Brian directed ) then it will gradually pull back down to the forms. Course, the ends were tougher to get twisted to the stems, but, it’s still doable with some heat. Most of the strip is on the bottom now and still twisting a bunch at the stems. Plus.. the hollow(?) on the end station mold is making it difficult to keep the strips down. We’ll see how it progresses.

Getting just a tad closer. Wish I could do more strips per day, but, the temps only get above 50* for a short period. Doing it this way I’m not having to worry about glue not curing overnight. Last time I tried two strips each side in one day I ended up getting some white in the drips where it was close to the door of the shed. It froze that night, so I don’t know how well that area cured.. we’ll see when I start sanding I suppose. ?

Rehd
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Just thinking out loud, but a CAREFUL application of heat to the hull, with the straps in place, might keep those strips on the hull. Maybe even wipe the hull with a wet rag, before hand ?

What kind of glue did you use ? Waterproof ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just an observation,

It is quite normal to have the strips spring out a bit once you release the straps, as long as the strips dried in the correct position you are fine. As you move along you will notice that the "pull away" gets less as you turn at the bilge, and will be almost gone after that (just a little bit, which is normal until closed).

The strips after the bilge may popup a bit but will also sit back down once you close ... there is a fair amount of tension on the entire frame and until the canoe is complete it will want to move some .... so my advice is to not worry about the spring back, keep adding strips and you will see that spring back take care of itself.

Just keep them in the correct position while they dry and set.

Brian
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Hey Jim
I was thinking about the heat, but, my one Propane tank heater won't keep it warm enough in the shed, as the sides are vinyl and it's an open doorway. I'm trying the heat gun, but that won't cover enough area to do any good. Maybe dampening it a little might help. ?? I use Titebond II for my strips. It's what I use in the shop so I just use it on the boat as well. I've been happy with Titebond products for years.

Brian
Yeh, I was thinking along those lines as well. It is what it is, and I'll just get all the future strips on the bottom to lay down and except what's already happened. The straps have been on it for 3 days now because I've been at the ranch selling our hay. Tomorrow it's going to rain, so I can't do much since I need to cut a few more strips to close it up. I'll be doing tool maintenance in the garage for the next 2 or 3 days, then I can get back to it.

Ya'll have a Great New Years..!!!
:tu :wink

Rehd
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Well, it’s been raining and since my table saw is situated where the strips run outside the big door of the garage, I can’t do much ripping. They are predicting a couple more storms, one of which will drop us a cool 3 – 4” here in the valley. Possibly 9” – 12” of moisture, either rain or snow up in Yosemite Park. We could have some mild flooding if that happens this weekend. Definitely NOT the norm for this region the past 7 or 8 years.
Anyway, since I can’t do any cutting and I need more strips for the S.G. build, I’ll spend this time tuning up my table saw. It came from a local high school that closed it’s woodworking shop. It’s been pretty well used (read: abused ) with both cast iron extensions lower than the table, legs broken off the extension, the extension table was beat up and the router insert is damaged beyond use as far as I can see. There’s at least a gallon of glue smeared all over the rails and sides of the table. It looks like the fence was run up against the saw blade a few times and is pretty rough. Everything I run through it catches on the saw marks. I didn’t get a miter gage with it, so I went down and bought a new one today. I picked up the material to build a new extension table on the right.
The cast iron wings are an easy fix with a couple wrenches and some clamps. A little light rust on the table itself, which should clean up nicely. I’m trying to find a replacement for the ½” by 3” plastic fence that bolts to the metal fence body. The fence and blade are accurately adjusted so that’s a plus. I need to make a couple of zero-clearance throat plates and some push sticks. I’m going to have to grind off all the glue from the back rail because I want to build an auxiliary extension table that will attach to it and fold down when not in use.
That should keep me busy through these latest storms. A friend of mine build the mobile stand with extensions up to the end of the table, but, I think I’m going to put legs back on it and use that space, under the extension table, for a rolling cabinet for blades and accessories for the saw.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rehdbrown/Sairy%20Gamp%20Build/Table%20Saw%20Upgrade%2001.jpg[/img]

Fun – Fun – Fun..!! :tu

Rehd
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Wow.!!! Has it been that long..?
How's it going out there in Canoe Land.?
It's been a rough year to 14 months. Problems with too much rain. 2 months of harvesting hay, all hours of the day and night. Repairing old broken down equipment about every other day. 2/3 of our hay being stolen and trying to pay bills. Broken vehicles, including my ole faithful Ford F-250 and family vehicles.
Finding a cheap used truck with blown engine and trying to replace that. Hauling our Paulownia logs to the coast and offering them to a lumber yard to get some kind of market started. Zero interest.! Plus the owner that ordered this canoe then backed out. Remodeling and painting my daughters and mothers houses. Working on farm equipment again before harvest. Planting all our acreages. This year - no rain and half our hay has dried up. Now remodeling one of my rooms in an effort to clean up the ole homestead.
Haven't been able to find time to get back to the Sairy Gamp, even though I walk past it every single day in the shed. Going to try and give it a shot here pretty soon. I need to cut a dozen more strips or so and B & C them, but there's a V.W. engine sitting on my table saw at the moment.. another project..
When last I posted there were only two or three other members using the forum on a regular basis. Now I see that there seems to be renewed interest brewing. More good reading to catch up and see if I can fire up that bug ( not the V.W. ) again and get busy with strips.
Oh, and before i forget, my neighbor backed his motor home through my back fence.. not once, but twice in 3 months..
:crying and he had a spotter..!!!!
Good to see all the new material here... good reading in the evenings..!!! Keep up the good work, it's very inspiring.

Rehd
Farback

Post by Farback »

I have built several kayaks from plans and a couple of my own designs. I’m building a Redbird canoe over the winter of 2018/2019.

My builds are fully documented on my website, www.farback.ca
When you run after your thoughts, you are like a dog chasing a stick: every time a stick is thrown, you run after it. Instead, be like a lion who, rather than chasing after the stick, turns to face the thrower. One only throws a stick at a lion once.