Resolute Kayak - Started a build blog

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Gary-IL

Resolute Kayak - Started a build blog

Post by Gary-IL »

Hi All.

I'm in the early stages of building a Resolute and I have a blog detailing my thoughts up to this point along with the decisions, work, materials, tools, etc. that have been used. If anyone is interested, it's at http://StripBuiltKayak.com.
Cruiser

Re: Resolute Kayak - Started a build blog

Post by Cruiser »

Will be interesting to follow this build, please let us know as you update ... and if want opinions, I am sure lots of folks here have experience and can offer opinions on any issues you raise.

Since you are at (or near) the strip creation stage ( and from the blog it looks like you intend to make your own), i will offer that regardless of the wood, consider making them using a skill saw ... not a table/band/radial (read that as a bigger saw with a long guide). You can find lots of references in this forum for that and a blow by blow description .... just a much better way to accomplish that task.

Brian
Gary-IL

Post by Gary-IL »

Thanks for the feedback Cruiser. As this is my first boat I'm definitely learning as I go so questions will come up. I've already got 100+ hours of research and video watching and reading multiple books and such so it's definitely time to stop arm chairing this and start doing.

You are correct in that I am making my own strips. I have both a circular saw and a table saw (with a high end thin kerf blade) so either would be doable for me. My longest boards are just over 8' so I know I'll be splicing and 8' is pretty easy to handle on the table saw. I agree with full length boards the circular saw against a guide is a great way to go. The hull will be a lot of splices however the deck pattern I'm settled on will work with mostly less than 8' boards so minimal to no splicing up there.

At this point I'm not settled on either method yet. But, of course, whatever I do I'll write about it.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Gary,

I made my Freedom 17 with white cedar, which I couldn't get in full length due to the nature of the trees. Instead of doing all the joining on the boat, I decided it would be easier to just skarf full length source boards, then cut the strips from those.

I use the strongback (with sacrificial strips) as a laydown area and a circular saw to cut strips, issue with strips and the table saw is that the lumber edge is never fully straight and a longer guide will pick that up more than a short guide on the circular saw. This isn't as bad an issue with shorter pieces, but gets worse as the length goes up.

There is a pic of the skarfed joints and the saw setup in this topic viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2244 , it is just a few pics down, just to give you and idea of how to setup the circular saw.

Brian
Gary-IL

Post by Gary-IL »

Well, it's done. Three years of building (ok 3 extended summers) and I finally completed it. Check it out at my build log at http://stripbuiltkayak.com/ for about a thousand images and close to 400 pages (if printed) of content. At the end I mostly followed Nick's techniques. Staple-less construction and some decorative patterns in the deck. For my first boat I'm very pleased with it. I'll need one more coat of varnish in the spring but for now it's done and useable.