Freedom Solo 15' 3" or 16' 2"

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Glen Smith

Re: Freedom Solo 15' 3" or 16' 2"

Post by Glen Smith »

It looks great !
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just a followup note about the colour variation issue I posted when I finished the fiberglassing of the outside hull.
I followed up with Noah's and they put me in touch with "Ric" , I still am not sure who he is, but he seemed to have a lot of experience, was helpful and after we chatted for awhile, he suggested that I was following the application directions too closely and that I needed to be a little looser with my interpretation of the directions.
When I applied the inside fiberglass, I pretty much ignored timing when to sqeejee and concentrated on getting the epoxy on, alternating back and forth as I completed areas. I think this resulted in a smoother workflow .... and more importantly, there are no distinct colouration bands where each application starts and ends.
I think that if you don't keep it all moving, you just invite trouble at the point where sections overlap, so from now on, I think I will just keep the application moving, which seems to eliminate the problem.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

She looks great!
The first canoe is the scariest, it's like jumping off the high board at the pool, after that first jump, you're ready to go again !
I know you will build another.
Maybe give foam rollers a try. They work great for me. I get a more even coat, and when I feel I have too much resin on the hull, I use a half moon squeegee to clean the roller. Then the roller can be used to help remove the excess, and even the application out.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Things have been moving along pretty well until last night.

I took some time and planned through design and installation of my uni-wales. Everything went as planned until the very end of the install, when a sling I was using let go and the stern end went straight down on it's side and impacted the floor. At first i thought it was okay, but when i checked the stern, lets just say "broken hearted" doesn't start to cover what I felt.

Today I went back and surveyed, assessed and am planning how to repair. It doesn't appear that the damage reaches the inside stem, but I can't be sure as it's hard to tell with the outer stem in place.
In the first picture, I have already removed part of the installed uni-wale to uncover the top of the stem section ( that will be an easy fix when I am done).

I think I am going to have to remove all of the stern outer stem to assess what damage lies beneath, before I can figure out how to repair.

I would appreciate thoughts, my plan so far would be to remove the outer stem carefully along the install line, to just below the damaged area. Assess what needs to be done internally (what else but epoxy) and then replace the outer stem portion and add a fiber glass wrap to the stern.

I guess Ted Moore was right, once you have built a boat, you know you can fix it. Last night I was devastated, today I am planning the repair.

Thanks
Brian
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Ouch ! Side blows can be fatal. I think your repair schedule is a good one.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just an update on the repair and a few pics ...

This pic was after I cut off the stern stem, surveyed the internal damage (good thing I did, was cracked clean through), cleaned up the crack, saturated with plain epoxy, then packed with thickened.

then I fabricated a new stem piece, glad I kept my forms

and fitted it in place

shaped and initial fiberglass, all the way around this time

and finally, after some leveling, sanding and more epoxy, the finished repair

BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Very nice job on that repair. :applause
-JIM-
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I posted over in the "Show us your decks" topic and Randy asked if I could post a few pics of the finished project. I haven't put the seat in yet, but it dawned on me that it is basically finished. I do intend on a project blow by blow blogumentary,with more pics, I will post a link when I get that completed.

For now, I dragged the boat out this afternoon and took a few shots, sunny would have been better, but it has been winter blue for last couple of weeks here.

I usually am camera shy, but I really liked this shot my wife took (even if I have to be in it) from the bow. It shows off how the uniwale wraps around the front and the reflections really show off the lines of the design ... and I just discovered that the shots that look cutoff on the post are actually complete if you click on them.

And again I have to be in the shot, this is just the easiest way to get a good inside shot, the interior flat varnish really does kill the shine. I didn't want to use the traditional hour glass thwarts, so I did up these, which are arced and oval. The seat is almost ready, but I am not rushing, it's winter.

The bottom shot looks a little mottled, but that is reflections of the scenery in the Epifanes finish.

The stern shot shows off the tumblehomme ( and that gloss varnish)

Front deck

Rear deck ( more reflections)

It's going to be a long, long winter wondering how the boat will handle, and waiting for the spring so I can find out.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Looks great Brian! Congratulations!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

She is a beauty! I am sure you will enjoy it.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Very nice!
-JIM-
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Well, it was a long winter waiting to be able to get the boat in the water, last weekend the stars aligned and I managed a short maiden voyage.

I am attempting to post the video my wife made, will see if it works or not. I haven't seen any videos before, thought this may be of interest to anyone contemplating this design. (NOTE: Please ignore the actor)

Two points 1) it looks awkward getting in, just trying to avoid the cobble beneath 2) the foam was just a precaution under the seat as it had never been loaded.

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Cruis ... 0.mp4.html

Impressions, it is very responsive and fast, once up to speed it just cruises along beautifully, I don't find it "tippy", just very responsive. I loaded it with 40 kg of sand and it just got even better for stability and handling.

Steve ... beautiful design, I am so looking forward to my first interior trip with it, in 3 weeks.

Brian
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

wow cruiser, based on that video i'd say the freedom makes my bob's seem kinda lumbering. it certainly looks a lot more nimble. :thinking
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nicely done Brian !!!

Both the canoe and the repair !!

Now I want to race after seeing your video, which was nice also !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I never posted a pic of the completed sliding seat for this project, so here it is

[img][IMG]http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b49 ... f7934f.jpg[/img][/img]

The slide and design worked well on my first camping trip .... BUT the boat is so balanced, I never used the slide. Plus, it's a commercial seat and the curved part is 11-12 inches across .... let's just say it's curve doesn't match my bottom curve. So after 1 trip, the boat seat has been replaced, plus I added a set of foot braces. Also, I did make a new yoke for the new seat, I intend to post pics of all three accessory projects (seat, foot braces and carry yoke) in the next couple days.

Brian