17' 0" Freedom

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Cruiser

Re: 17' 0" Freedom

Post by Cruiser »

Glassing has to wait till spring and the warmer weather, when I can open the garage up.

The regime will be 6 oz. inside and out, two extra layers on the bow and stern.

I may go ahead and start working on the trim (seats, decks, yoke), there is a long way to go yet. I still have to finalize the design for the gunnels and decks

I have the seat design pretty dialed in, but I am playing with a more traditional yoke design, which I haven't tried yet ... so that will be interesting. If it works out I will retrofit the Kipawa and Freedom Solo with new yokes.

There is always something to keep busy with.

Brian
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Finally moving on this project again, just completed the outer fiber glassing, turned out pretty well.

I am pretty happy with the contrast of wood tones in general.

and the center accent turned out better than I hoped, you can even see the crazy guy on the ladder taking the shot, lol

Hope to start moving along with this build now.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Just finished up doing the deck blanks for this build, snapped this pic for posting.

On to the gunnels.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Making progress on the build, got the inside glassed on Tuesday.

Have been installing gunnels yesterday and today ... can you ever have enough clamps for this?

I learned a valuable lesson on the weekend. I have been having some issues with my current glass supplier, the glass comes with something between a crease and deformation, it almost looks like a long half of a bubble. It isn't creased, almost like it was manufactured that way and they don't ease when wetted out, so you get an ugly wobble where ever they happen to be. Last build was a chore because of this and I got fed up with the batch for this build and decided to drop by Bear Mountain and try their glass. Turns out that not all fiberglass is created equal, I sort of thought that glass was glass ... that was the lesson I learned ..... it's not, like saying cloth is cloth until you compare burlap with satin.

Joan discussed where glass is manufactured and some things to watch for ... I bought enough glass to finish the inside and I have to say, the performance of the new stuff from Bear Mountain was awesome. On top of that she suggested I come by the next workshop when they are doing the epoxy part, to observe, I really am going to try and take her up on that.

Next build I know where I am getting my resin and cloth, sometimes saving a few nickels isn't really saving a few nickels.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Just helped a friend glass the outside of a Wee Lasse 2.
His cloth had a crease the full length, but came out, and wasn't noticeable after the wet out coat.

Years ago we had the same issue, and the supplier replaced it, but it also had the crease. In all cases the cloth was shipped, on a roll.

Looking AWESOME Brian ! Anxious to see it finished !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I am nearing completion on my Freedom build and would like to solicit opinions (or fact if Steve K sees this) for thwart placement/requirements.

The plan shows 2 thwarts, one near centre and a smaller one aft ... I am assuming the smaller one aft of centre, between the rear seat and centre thwart is meant to act as a kneeling thwart and serves no real structural purpose beyond that.

I needed to move the rear seat forward some, as my seat design and rear design, just isn't going to work at the position indicated on the plans. The yoke has been placed in the centre position (balance point) and that small rear thwart may be too close to the rear seat for comfort.

My plan is to make that small rear thwart removable and just leave it out when I use the boat as a tandem, I can't see that it is structural, but I would like to canvas this forum for opinions.

Thanks

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think that 2nd thwart does indeed provide some structural support. It appears to be pretty much equidistant between the center thwart and the front of the stern seat (with ~2.5' in each segment). That is about the same distance between the center thwart and the back of the front seat.

But as you move the stern seat forward, the value of the 2nd thwart is somewhat reduced (given the seat frame is rigidly attached to the gunwales) and the "unthwarted" span is reduced.

I think you could safely remove it. I remember pondering the addition of a 2nd thwart on the Redbird (whose plans show no such thwart).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks Randy, I needed the second opinion ... I moved the stern seat forward ~12" , simply for practical fit purposes. That in turn makes running with that rear thwart in place, look a bit cramped. Since the centre thwart is actually the carry yoke, there isn't any leeway on it's placement .... leaving me with only a couple of feet between the rear thwart and the stern seat, which to my eye doesn't seem like enough space.

I have made allowance for its installation, but if it interferes for tandem operation, then I will just remove it.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Just a thought, but in my solos, I like my thwart about 26" forward of the seat. As I get older, it makes a great grab handle to exit the canoe. At 26" it is not a problem for being too close. makes a great place for a thwart bag also.
I agree, you could do without it, but it would add rigidity.
Oh one more thing, with the thwart that close to the stern seat, you could wedge your paddles in place for portaging. I'm guessing you won't do that to your canoe :thinking :wink

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

OK, this one is finally finished, with any luck we will do the water test tomorrow ... for now ... a few pics

Full length

From the stern

Bottom Detail

I just liked this interior shot, so I included

Inside detail

Deck detail

Finally, sitting patiently waiting to get to the water

I will make a final post with impressions once I get some time in the boat, a test run this year, hopefully tripping next year as winter is closing in on us here.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Outstanding Brian !
You are a Master !
Thanks for sharing !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Looks Awesome!

:applause :applause
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Jim, was just rereading this post since I was on replying to another post ... and noticed your comment about boat use, I actually use these boats almost exclusively for tripping, so portaging is definitely on the agenda. I actually do use the thwarts to lash in the paddles, well lash isn't the correct term, I use those rubber covered wire ties.
On the portages there just seems to be too many things to carry, so lashing a few things together seems like a common goal for anyone on that sort of adventure.

Brian
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Long over due launch on this canoe ...... I had promised the missus that "WE" would do the first paddle together .... she gets rather busy, so this ended up moving down the list.

I have made several trips, but they all ended up with me taking my freedom Solo .... so the poor Freedom 17 has been safely tucked away.

Yesterday, the wife noted we had time, the weather looked good and suggested it was time to christen the Freedom 17 ... I jumped on that and today we spent a couple hours paddling the marsh and almost going out on the main lake .... I was game, her not so much.

I have to admit, the boat looks ready to go on shore

On the marsh the better half snapped this pic, which I just liked, so I am posting

Paddling still water and with wind in the marsh is a dream with this boat, fast, maneuverable and surprisingly stable.
We also ventured out into the port channel and did play a little in the main lakes waves and in a higher wind, the boat was very happy. The wake from boats entering and exiting posed no issues .... we just cut through them, which surprised me in an unloaded boat ...we passed through one set of wake waves from a larger boat, then paddled across to the opposite set and ended up going through those as the cruising speed was faster than the waves .... just awesome.

The rear thwart is fine where it is and really doesn't interfere with anything, so I am going to leave it installed.

Very happy with the boat and can't wait to get it tripping ... that concludes this build.

Brian
IanC

Post by IanC »

Lovely boat, congratulations on the maiden voyage.

Looking at your thread, I have a question about the fiberglas cloth you were using previously that you were less pleased with - which cloth was that?